Tested 300rum - 25-06 this morning

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well Me and BJ went and tested my 300rum, and 25-06 as well as his new Lilja barreled 300rum this morning before the temp hit 130.

We were having some problems getting BJ's chrono to read correctly but eventually we got some good readings. I am shooting the 150gr Remington Scirocco to get ready for my upcoming moose hunt. I really don't like shooting factory ammo but I don't wanna work up a load since the hunt is in 4 weeks and once I get my Allen Mag I probably won't shoot that 300 for a while.

Anyway the 180gr sciroccos shot around 3400fps in my gun and just shy of 3500fps in BJ's. I guess the longer barrel does increase speed.

These wouldn't group for crap in my gun so I switched to the 150gr scirocco and shot a 3/4" group. This shot at 3518 3582 and 3587 for the three shot group and I think the first shot was a misread on the chrono's part.

BJ is up to shot 18 on breaking in his new barrel and he is starting to not likethis break in process. It is a pain in the @$$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I only managed to get three shots on my 25-06 and only go two measured speeds, 3321 and 3208. I was thinking a 100gr ballistic tip would be a little faster in this gun. I was hoping to get over 3000 with Richards 130gr bullet.

Both guns are coming along nicely except that 300rum of mine is still stomping the snot out of me.

Tell me what you think about the 25-06 speed issues.

Thanks
Steve

I'm guessing you don't have a break on it do you? Man I could not handle my 7ultra without one, much less a 300! After about 600 rounds of 308, I am just barely getting over the flinch from that beast. Fifty is chambering the new barrel on the 7 to 300ultra but he is putting a break on it, I'm too much of a wimp to not have one!

Well that is the sad thing, it is breaked. I wish I had one of those holland qd breaks on it or the new one BJ has, it is a JP break. Dang thing looks like he has a taco on the end of his barrell. The one I have on their just doesn't work as good as I think it should, or maybe I just need to stop cryin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well what do you guys think I could push Richards 130gr ULD RBBT bullet moly coated. Do you think I could get 3000fps or more???????

I have some berger vld bullets in 115 moly that I am gonna try some time but you all know I am a Wildcat fan through and through.

not unless you have a 30" barrel...

my 115 btip load likes about 2975

couldnt get the bergers to work for me

What is your 25-06?

JB

JB1000BR,

That is exactly what I shoot in my 25-06 a 100SMK...52gn imr4350. I have not shot my through a chronograph but I shoot the Savage 110FP. I love it!

I shot my 375 RUM Kirby sent me ( 30" Lilja heavy barrel (I need to ask Kirby exactly which one), Holland QD Brake, trigger job ) - It's a tack driver and kicks a little more than my .243 -
I was shooting 260gr Accubond and IMR-4350 up to 96 grains. No pressure signs. Never busted my crono out as it shot every load so great. It was barrel break in day, rock busting and shooting big rocks with my new 50 BMGs.

I'm actually thinking of using this gun on my deer hunt.

Lerch,

My personal 25-06 which is really my wifes rifle now!!! She adopted it very quickly after shooting it!!

Anyway, this rifle is the single most accurate factory sporter rifle I have ever owned or shot straight out of the box. I then replaced the stock with a quality sporter Lamiante handle and tuned the trigger.

The funny thing is the rifle has one bullet it will shoot extremely well and all the others are much less impressive. Its preferred load is the 100 gr Ballistic Tip over a stiff 57.0 gr charge of Rl-22. This load produces 3440 fps in the 24" factory barrel and is admittedly a hot load. Still I get at least 5 firing per case and accuracy averages, that is averages 3/8" at 100 yards. 1/4" groups have not been uncommon in fact they are relatively frequent. This is for three shots.

The real kicker is, this is a Ruger M77 MkII standard sporter rifle!!!

After many years of heavy use she is starting to get a little tired so it spends most of the time in the gun safe as my wife does not want me screwing around with it as its still her rifle. I guess thats fine.

Anyway, just wanted to offer the load data but will also state that this is a hot load and should not be tried without working up to this point in your rifle.

With the 115, 117, 120 gr pills, this rifle is a 3/4 to 1 1/4 moa rifle!!!

Good Shooting, Is today the day that the big 270s show up??!! Let me know what you think.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Is today the day that the big 270s show up??!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is!!!!!!!!

They are out for delivery!!

Should have them this afternoon sometime.

Lerch,

Kirby, jut finished my 25-284 and he tested it with the 130 BC's. I have a 28" barrel on it. With a very mild load (45 grains of h4831) in this gun Kirby thought it was running about 2600. He can comment more on that.

Yes, this was a very mild load. I really just wanted to see how they grouped and if they group well at low pressue, from what I have learned with the Wildcat Bullets, they will tighten up in group size as the pressure increases.

I was pretty happy with the results with the 130 gr BCFBHP in the 1-10 twist at these velocites which should be in the 2600 fps range. I would think with top load 2900 fps would be possible in a 26 to 28" barrel.

Here is the pic ot that little jem. We rebuilt an old Rem 722 receiver and it turned out very classy. Basically the 25-284 is a ballistic identical twin to your 25-06 so performance comparisions will be nearly identical between the two. What can be said for the 25-06 can also be said for the 25-284 and vice versa.

311145.jpg

311146.jpg

These are the first two, three shot groups with the 130 gr BCFBHPs at 100 yards with the low pressure load. Nothing spectacular yet but I suspect that as the pressure increases the groups will tighten dramatically. Two grous in the .5"s is not that bad with low pressure loads. Also, is is out of a freshly machined and blued barrel with no break in.

Lerch, I would give the 130s a try at least and see what they do in your rifle. The 25-06 is plenty or rifle to use the 130 gr bullets well. This bullet puts the 25-06 and 25-284 in the same class as the 270 Win for use on deer size game. I have these bullets in stock if you want to try some. Let me know.

Oh no, that comment may get some attention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Here is a pic comparing the Wildcat 257 bullets with the 100 gr Ballistic Tip:

311154.jpg

From left to right: 100 gr Ballistic Tip, 100 gr BCFBHP, 130 gr BCFBHP(J-4 jacket), 130 gr BCFBHP(heavy tapered jacket), 142 gr ULD RBBT, 145 gr FBSP(prototype) and finally the big 156 gr ULD RBBT.

Come on now lerch, just order one of them new fangled 1-7 or 1-8 barrels and we will get you thowing those 142 and 156 gr ULDs for some serious 1000 yard performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Just kidding, the 156 gr is to much bullet for the 25-06 in my opinion. THe 142 on the other hand could be very useful but would require a 1-8 twist at these velocites. Obviously I will not post any more BC values for these bullets but I will say they shoot relatively flat compared to a 100 gr 257 bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Seriously though I would try the 130 gr bullets. Not the bonded core as this is not needed for what you will be doing and even for heavy deer I suspect it would not be needed but it certainly does not hurt. Just cost more to get the bonded cores.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

I was thinking about you last paragraph. As you know I have the Goat hunt this fall. Depending on when you can have the 270 AM ready, I may have to pack the 25. Richard actually reccomended it for the weight advatage. You and I discussed the 169.5 ULD's for the Goat hunt but not the 25 cal bullets. Talking with Richard he thought that the non bonded bullets would do just fine and not damage hide. What is your take and maybe reccomendation. My goal is to take out the two shoulder blades if I can, at the very minimum one. Lerch I hope I am not hijacking the thread with this question. If so it is not problem to take this conversation private with Kirby.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts