Terrain You Are Willing to Hike on While Hunting

Just about everywhere I have hunted public lands there are 2 trackers just about everywhere. I use them and hoof it knowing I'll run into another road anyway. There are wilderness areas but I would have to hike in with at least one hunter as a spotter and help packing. None of us are expert hikers, so caution will win the day. We're all aging and a bit more cautious anyway.
Do the adventures while you can!

Just how difficult of terrain are you willing to walk in on while hunting?

Speaking for myself, nothing extreme, because if I shoot something, I now have to make several trips out, carrying a heavy weight. Sure I know how to quarter a deer, moose, whatever, but that's the easy part. A small deer isn't so bad, say 30 or 40 or so lbs a quarter. But a moose can easily be 90 to 140 lbs a quarter, times 4 trips, I want the terrain to be reasonable. Honestly I was shocked by comments from another thread, where some say they hunt terrible terrain. Do you walk in on terrain so tough, you fall down regularly?
If so, what's the plan to hike out the meat?
Maybe I am missing something.
Thanks.
A lot of people hunt extremely rugged terrain. Places most others only see in pictures. Yes, falling and bumping your scope (the other thread) is a likely possibility. People hunt HARD, they're not clumsy, like you assume.

You know that Toby Keith song "I am as good once as I ever was?" That song is a lie from the pits of hell!!! I ain't half the man I used to be!🤣 I use to do stuff and people would say, "what were you thinking?" And I could respond honestly I wasn't!😂 Now I don't have an excuse. If I did it I thought about it!😉

I will go just about anywhere, however I find I do a lot less killing these days. If I suspect there is a good one in there, I will go after him. If I just want meat I go hunt the patch. Or hunt less treacherous terrain. Now that I am older I am a lot more selective in what I shoot. If I am packing him out he's going to be a big one. I don't shoot many!🤣 I still hunt the bad stuff when I have time to avoid pressure and because I like it. The views are often incredible. I spend my summer hiking miles of backcountry on the WMAs and other places looking for sign. We have packed in 9 miles through some of the nastiest stuff you can imagine. We didn't pack anything out!😉 I wouldn't have thought twice about killing something 10 years ago, now I think twice and sometimes a third before I squeeze the trigger. Its one reason I got rid of my Safari rifles. I love Africa but that plane ride is miserable. I use to live for it! Love to travel! Love camping on the side of a mountain. There is nothing like it. But I do my traveling these days in 6-8 hour intervals. And I prefer to drive. I am in a lot better shape than most but find myself less inclined to be a glutton for punishment. I will hike miles of nasty stuff to see something few see. I might kill something I might not. In recent years I find myself most often not. It maybe because the memory of what I just came through is fresh!🤣 That said, if big boy steps out I still loose my head and forget where I am and just go into hunt mode. I am not scared of the terrain I just don't have the time and honestly money to do it anymore. Learning to stay closer to home. But even here I hunt the rough stuff from time to time for the big boys. However, my go to is a place I can drive my truck to within a few hundred yards and load her up. I like to eat!😉

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!😁
47AB2936-F2AA-44F2-98B9-26BA3F27D95B.jpeg

Last edited:
It's about the experience for me. A lot of that comes in rugged steep country. Being a guide I've packed ALOT of animals out on my back. Most of my hunting is solo though as I can't find anyone that's willing to hike and endure the misery. It's a lot of work to get to the areas that are special. Although it's been 15 years since I shot a deer around here I have gotten some elk.
After I get home from guiding I'm headed to the mountains to unwind and hike/hunt the rugged areas that are my favorites.
This year was difficult as I was nursing frostbite in my feet from guide season. Only was able to make it out 3 times. Fell down a lot as my feet felt like bricks. Still I had to go up there. Something very special about being on a mountain watching/experiencing the sunrise!

Edit: To the OP the effort is the reward. The main reason I do it
Adversity is a terrible thing to waste.

Last edited:
67 years old,but hunt with 20 and 30 year olds,they get them out for me.I do help and they seem to enjoy hunting with a silverback and hearing the stories of me hunting as a kid.
Yep! If nothing else I like going. I can keep coffee on, and cinnamon rolls in the oven.

Its been 3 years since my last antelope, and literally the guys hand carried me at times.

Stuff changes, but can be replaced by better stuff.