Which brand of electronic hearing protection do you use while hunting?

I am driving back from 3 days of hunting coyotes, rocks and rock chucks i n WY and MT.

I fired about a dozen rounds with my unbraked 6.5-284.

I hunted with partners so I needed the ability to communicate.

We had wind sometimes up to 15 mph.

I wore the SoundGear units each day for 4 or 5 hours at a time.

Wow, am I happy with them.

Plenty of protection, never heard wind whistle, never wanted to take them out for a break other than at lunch time.

Communication was perfect.

We'll have these in the LRH Store tomorrow.

Price will be under $500.

Len,

How good is the "fidelity" of the sound? I mean if you listen to music does it sound tinny?

How easy is it to turn the sound levels up and down?

Can you turn them up as high as something like the Peltor Tac 7s?

Thanks,
$bob$

I was one of the guys Len hunted with this week. I have had other friends use hearing protection in the past while hunting on coyote stands or even while hunting big game. It usually causes a lot of issues. Most units really hamper one's ability to hear. I have become very frustrated, at times, while trying to communicate with partners wearing different forms of hearing protection. This is the first time there were zero issues with being able to communicate. The Sound Gear units impressed me quite a bit from the non-wearer's point of view. Anytime I had to whisper while on the stand Len did not have any trouble hearing me. The units were so small that most of the time I didn't even notice Len was wearing them. As I get older my hearing seems more and more important to me. I'm thinking I might just have to get a set of these Sound Gear hearing protection units for myself. On a side note, when Len comes out to hunt he usually has all kinds of different gear to test and use. This trip was no exception. On this hunt, aside from his wonderful 6.5-284 (which was an absolute joy to shoot), the Sound Gear product was the highlight, for me anyway. It's a cool little tiny product that makes a difference in a HUGE way!

Len,

How good is the "fidelity" of the sound? I mean if you listen to music does it sound tinny?

How easy is it to turn the sound levels up and down?

Can you turn them up as high as something like the Peltor Tac 7s?

Do you think they're suited for full time wear?

Thanks,
$bob$

LDH, I don't know about the music.

You can wear them all day long.

There is no way to turn up the volume.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.