Tell me more about your experience with these 2 rifles M70 S.G. and XBOLT

Buzzsaw

Well, my search for a beautifully wood stocked rifle in my $2,000 +/- range continues. Haven't found a Weatherby MK V which floats my boat. So I'm looking at the Winchester Super Grades and the Browning Gold Medallion XBolt. The Winchesters are being made in Portugal, Brownings I think still in Japan. The XBolts shoot well, not sure about the Super Grades.
Probably get another 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm Rem Mag as I don't have a "big gun.

You guys who own these specific rifles, how do they shoot? I would be happy with under an inch for 3 shots.

The last m70 I owned was a new Haven made, so it wouldn't be relevant for me to comment on them. I've had 3 xbolts. I think that moa for three shots with one is very doable. Mine liked federal fusions in the 270 wsm and the 300 wm liked Nosler ammo with 180 accubonds.

All the Baco made Win Model 70's I own, 300WM in SG/EW, 338WM SG/EW & SG 25-06, all shoot less than MoA with handloads. I don't think a single one of them has had a factory round chambered in them ever.
My buddy has a Hells Canyon XBolt that is very accurate, I just don't like them personally.
They're not as appealing to me as a Win Model 70, either in CM/Wood or SS/Synthetic.

Cheers.

I love Brownings as they are fine guns, but if you are going for fancy wood, the Model 70 just seems "more right" to me (in 7mm Rem Mag, considering your two options.) I'm sure both will shoot MOA with ammo they like, regardless. Just have to decide which rifle stirs your soul most.

I have a .264 in the maple super grade configuration. Factory loads were around 1 moa hand loads were 3/4 range. Overall the rifle has been a doll. The trigger required a touch of tuning and it was ok for hunting. Every time I take it out it has close to same POI. I haven't seen any shifting or movement in the stock throughout the varied East Texas weather I have carried it in.

In the X Bolt (unlike the 70) there are purpose built long range models.
Winchester has nothing to compare with with X Bolt Long Range.

Reports are the Portuguese made Model 70's are very good guns.

Not a word-stocked model, but I have an Extreme Weather in .264WM from Portugal, and it shoots extremely well.

No question about that but Winchester has not made a 30 caliber purpose built long range rifle since they dropped the Match rifles decades ago.

Browning does, out of the box.

So between my dad, my brother and me I own two of the new Model 70's, my dad has 4 X-Bolts and my brother owned 2 X-Bolts but sold one.

My 2 Model 70's are both super grades in Win Mag cartridges, one in .300 and one in .458. The .300 was my original long range rifle that I learned to reload on, it is a quality firearm with good fit and finish that was accurate with handloads. I developed a 230 Berger OTM handload that shot under 1/2 moa when I did my part.

My dad's X-Bolt Eclipse in 6.5 Creedmoor is a tack driver and consistently prints groups under 1/2 moa with Hornady American Gunner ammo. His .30-06 White Gold Medallion shoots under 3/4" with a 150gr Superformance duplicate I handload, with actual load work I'm sure I could reduce that down even more.

He also has an X-Bolt Pro in 6.5 PRC, the first one did not shoot well and was sent back to browning and they replaced it. The new one shoots much better, did not get to do load work ups for it yet but I used the same target load I was using in my PRC and made hits out to 1000 yards on an 18" circle using my dope.

My Brother had 2 .300 WM X-Bolts but the second one did everything the first did but better so he sold it. His is a Hell's Canyon McMillan and while it loves Hornady Full Boar and Outfitter ammo it does not shoot the Precision hunters well. This rifle is on my list to start reloading for.

So in all honesty it is hard to go wrong with either though the browning does offer more long range options than the Winchester which seems to have relegated the Model 70 to purely a wood stocked hunting rifle which is a crying shame if you ask me.

No question about that but Winchester has not made a 30 caliber purpose built long range rifle since they dropped the Match rifles decades ago.

Browning does, out of the box.

I would have bought a Maple Super Grade in .264 years ago if they offered it in a faster twist and I absolutely would have bought a heavy barrel target rifle in .300 WM had they produced one. I guess my Pre-64 bull gun in .300 H&H with an Unertl scope is as close as I will get to a "Modern" Model 70 target rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.