TCA Venture 270wsm

7mmRemMag

I recently read about the Thomson Center Venture, and was curious if anyone else owns one. I am looking to buy another 270wsm because I love the cartridge I have one in Remington Model 7. Was looking to get an inexpensive one and came across the TCA Venture. Does anyone own one? I am also looking at a Savage model 16 or a Tikka T3. But if the Thomson Center would be a good shooter for the price I'd go with that.

I am helping a friend develop loads for his .270 Win in using 150gr BTs. It's grouping very well thus far. IMHO, they are very nice rifle for the the money, however, the .270 Win and .270 WSM has a 1:12 twist. I'm sure it's fine but I would like to see them 1:10 or faster for the heavier bullets, i.e., 165gr and up.

That's good to know. I'd really like to have one if it's a good buy because of the price. I shoot 140gr Nosler AB out of the rem 7 I have. Furthest kill I have thus far is 550yards on a Javelina here in south Texas. Prior to that I had a Mule Deer I dropped at 500 yards 1 shot through both shoulders. I really like that load I developed and would
Ike to stay there for the new gun if it liked it too. I doubt I'd push it further than 600yrds though. I really wish they made the AB in 150gr

Feenix, I was also looking at the 270 wsm Venture and noticed the 1-12 twist listed on their website. I emailed TC to verify the twist here was their response.

" All of my technical data shows it as a 1:10. It has to be a misprint on the website."

So Feenix, since your friend has one can you verify the twist please (measure it, etc).

I would buy one if it was 1-10.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Called T/C (Smith-Wesson) and the person I spoke with said both the 270 win and wsm Venture were both 1in 10.

Last edited:
stripes3,

That's good to know. My friend has since moved overseas and all his guns are stored at his brother's place somewhere in NE.

Anyways, I opted to build .270 AI - parts acquisition work-in-progress. Thanks for the update and for sharing the information.

I have one in 270 win and shoot the 140 accubond because of the 1 in 12 twist that is listed, man would love to shoot the 150 bergers though. when I get home I will check and see what twist it really does have!

well Gentle men, my research shows that it indeed is a MISPRINT. the 270 venture I have is a 1-10 twist! I checked it several times. well I guess I have some more load development for it in my near future.lol It does shoot very well with anything I feed it,so Im not to worried about finding something in the VLD It likes. Man Just goes to show you should always check even if it is printed. I just took what was posted so I never even tried to get a Berger to shoot, Just went right to the Accu-bond.

Man that's good to know. Thanks for the info guys! I think I will buy one in 270wsm whenever I get the chance. Real good price, and by the looks of it, they shoot well.

you all are welcome and yes 7mmmag this rifle shoots extremely well, I was amazed when the 1st 3 shots from it during barrel break in were in the same hole at 100 using cheap factory ammo. and for a bone stock factory rifle that cost less than 500 bucks!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.