Target turrets walking

Hoss fly

Shooting today noticed my 100 yd. impacts tracking straight up in approx. 1/2" increments. Pulled covers and noticed after each shot the turret was moving by its self.
Have never seen this before. This is new bbl. 24" ss bull bbl Thompsom encore, 6-24-50 scope with weaver mounts, all tight. Only thing different have worked up load to 24 gr. of acurate 2200 powder pushing 55 gr.fmj from23.5 and .007 freebore jump. Up until today haven't had this problem. Could it be that this load is starting to cause bbl to vibrate and twist the turret mtrl. And cause it to move? Also the astmuth turret will move but not as much, or am I way off base?

Are you sure he turret clicks are moving or is the zeroing cap just loose and moving ?
From the sound of it the turret clicks may be moving as the POI is moving so I would suspect broken or weak erector tube springs in the scope .
Also maybe you have a tapered base with X amount of MOA for longer range .
Zeroing at 100 could mean the turrets are so far off the springs that the erector tube jumps about under recoil .
Try screwing the turrets down and shooting a group at a large target . Dose not matter where the zero is vertically . Just see if the movement stops .
It is some kind of scope issue but you say nothing much about your scope ?

Scope is Simmons 6/24/50 mounted with weaver mount to 223 ss bull bbl.last night I repositioned tube mounts further back, will re zero today if no rain. I zero at 25 yds then go out to 100 and fine tune then play at 200 and 300, good groups all the way. Didn't really notice this till I had covers off turrets and saw they were moving with each
shot. Will take rubber bands today for a temporary fix to see if a small amount of resistance will stop this movement.

Rain stopped, set up and shot 10 rds. No movement at all, after remounting scope last night, re bore sighting, and adj. for 1" low at 25 yds. When I loosen the turret knobs to give a o position ref. by George they started moving again. So tried the rubber bands to give resistance, that held them from moving. Of coarse now can't get the dust covers on. Leopold scope going on next.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.