Target size height for mildot ranging (deer and coyote)?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by countryrebel, Nov 1, 2008.

1. countryrebel

countryrebel Well-Known Member

Just wondering what you guy's have come up with in inches for different animals? I am more interested in chest size measurements (ie) top of back to bottom of chest. Maybe elk and bear to if you have them. A sitting or standing coyote would also be another useful one to have. Chime in with any other suggestions.
    Thanks

2. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

I believe that:

deer are approx 18" back- brisket
    bull elk approx 30" back- brisket
    cow elk approx 24" back - brisket
    coyotes standing approx 10" back- brisket
    coyotes sitting approx 24"

I could be wrong but these should be fairly close

3. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

I like to play around with reticle rangefinding myself, and have had more than a reasonable degree of luck ranging antelope to about 400-500 yds.

I was actually successful to 725 yds. once with a buck using a plex-style reticle--BUT that was too much luck to think it could be repeated. I haven't done it since.
    I measured 2 "avg." does once at exactly 14" laying on the ground back to brisket, and A buddy and i have both come up with 11" b-b on winter coyotes (5-6" vital zone).

I used a point blank range rangefinding system this last year on a doe antelope with the Varmint Hunter reticle and it also worked. I have done this once before on a coyote with success.

IMO, the PBR reticle-rangefinding system is the most useful system.