Tape the end of your barrel !

I have taped on many a hunting trip but I was sitting here thinking, why doesn't it affect POI? A small flaw in your crown will jack things all up but tape won't, I seriously can't remember if it was blown of or I had to remove the tape with a hole in it, if it blew of I could understand but if your bullet is going through that would make me wonder why.lightbulb

I shoot with a muzzle break and after I pull the trigger there is nothing left at all, every little piece of the tape is gone...

Without a muzzle break all the tape at the end of the barrel is gone it leavs nothing on the crown..
Like it was said earlier the compressed air in front of the bullet blows the tape out of the path of the bullet before it even gets to where the tape is

Interesting thread. I keep on learning with you guys.
I have had to clean my rifle barrel a couple of times during the hunt, because of dirt or twigs getting into it. I would now use electrical tape or small water ballons to prevent that.
Thanks for the prior posts.

I have taped on many a hunting trip but I was sitting here thinking, why doesn't it affect POI? A small flaw in your crown will jack things all up but tape won't, I seriously can't remember if it was blown of or I had to remove the tape with a hole in it, if it blew of I could understand but if your bullet is going through that would make me wonder why.lightbulb

Using the fingers from a latex glove almost always has a hole in it!

The air in front of the bullet makes the hole, not the bullet. Whether it blows off depends on the grip to the barrel. The column of air is moving about as fast as the bullet....but it would be nice to see a high speed video :)

edge.

The air in front of the bullet makes the hole, not the bullet. Whether it blows off depends on the grip to the barrel. The column of air is moving about as fast as the bullet....but it would be nice to see a high speed video :)

edge.

High speed video would be nice, I think I have had to peel the tape of to re-apply after a shot, even if the air column ahead of the bullet makes the hole doesn't that kinda make gasses around the exiting bullet unstable. No argument that it has no effect just kinda trying to get a handle on why.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking there may be a bad trend here, how can my guns make more guns when I leave them alone in the dark if the are wearing protection :D.

In our climate in Nov a bit of snow in the barrel into a warm truck melting then out to -20 and colder that drop of water becomes a catastrophic failure to the gun.Always tape in the cold.

Bigngreen's has got to be the best post here!
I never put mine up with protection and have never gotten any offspring either. I think I'll have resort to artificial insemination.

But serously about the (Ultimate bore Protection) with all of thier testimonials
are we too believe that all these guys downed thier game all do to the protector!
I sure didn't see one target to prove thier claims.
I sure won't waste my money to liars.
I think I will email them and ask for some targets to back up thier BULL ****
If what they claim is true save yourself some money before each hunt just stab your barrel in the dirt then you will never miss a shot.

Ultimate Bore Protection

I use latex finger cots. They come in different sizes and are easy to install/de-install. I've tried them at the range on my 338 Edge with recoil brake and couldn't find any negative influences on either accuracy or bullet speed. Not much left of the cots after firing! Cots are cheap - about $2 for 18 at the local pharmacy. Here's a photo on a custom 338WM:

Weatherprotection.jpg

Moosetracker, I tried those once but my gun kept going off prematurely :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.