Talley one piece misaligned

ohiohunter

Had a friend visit to break and sight in his new savage 300wm. Turned out the monarch 5 scope he bought has a ridiculously short tube for mounting and was unable to use his talleys. I pulled a rail off my savage LA and gave it to him along w/ rings in exchange for his talleys. I mount the talleys on my gun and they are about 0.025" off, my first thought is to lap them but that hole in the bottom is going to catch a lot of compound and be a mess. Then I started contemplating bedding the rear ring but by design that could be a disaster... Maybe bed and lap is my only option?

I'm also a little worried about putting a backwards cant on the rings.

Note, when they were on the other action they aligned perfect so I blame my action for this issue, not the rings.

Note2, do not buy a monarch 5. Esp for a LA. I can't believe nikon put a $600 price tag on a scope w/ a plastic magnification turret. Looks like **** and reminds me of their $100 prostaffs. Garbage!

ohunter, a bit confused. Are the Talleys misaligned or are the mount holes on your action off? I agree many of the Nikon scopes are quite short requiring extended mounts.

They are misaligned, the holes match up fine. It looks as tho the rear of my action sits lower than it should. I guess they milled a little too much off.

Here it is, the bore is pointing to the left

Attachments

• IMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPG
    761.7 KB · Views: 152
Maybe have your friend call store or Talley and then send them back for replacement. this just doesn't sound right. I use a pair on a Savage LA with a Zeiss and have no alignment issues. I'm not talking about the scope length issue though. That just sux.

Had a friend visit to break and sight in his new savage 300wm. Turned out the monarch 5 scope he bought has a ridiculously short tube for mounting and was unable to use his talleys. I pulled a rail off my savage LA and gave it to him along w/ rings in exchange for his talleys. I mount the talleys on my gun and they are about 0.025" off, my first thought is to lap them but that hole in the bottom is going to catch a lot of compound and be a mess. Then I started contemplating bedding the rear ring but by design that could be a disaster... Maybe bed and lap is my only option?

I'm also a little worried about putting a backwards cant on the rings.

Note, when they were on the other action they aligned perfect so I blame my action for this issue, not the rings.

What ever the problem is, bedding a two piece ring is not recommended and I would recommend a one piece base and if the receiver is not correct, Attach the front (Or which ever is higher and bed the end with the gap).

This should fix the problem permanently.

The other way is to shim the base with the gap/low ring to the correct height. (This was a common procedure before we had good one piece bases for many of our actions that were not machined to specification.

J E CUSTOM

Maybe have your friend call store or Talley and then send them back for replacement. this just doesn't sound right. I use a pair on a Savage LA with a Zeiss and have no alignment issues. I'm not talking about the scope length issue though. That just sux.

I would do this if I had not seen them sit perfect on his rifle. The rail I had on my action was bedded to my action. It wasn't a perfect fit on his action but it wasn't terrible by any means.

morning, I use Nikon scopes a lot. very reliable. I use warne bases and
rings. I have never had a problem with mounting a scope. yes sometimes
I have to turn the bases around to shorten the distance inbetween. but never could not mount a Nikon scope. Nikon monarch's r great scopes for the money.
thk. u

The thread title makes it a little hard to follow the thread, really you have an action issue which is easily resolved by bedding the rail then a light ring lap and your of to the races.

Here it is, the bore is pointing to the left

Attached Files:

• a" style="margin: 0px; padding: 10px 10px 0px; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1; background: none center top repeat-x rgb(225, 217, 199); border-radius: 0px;">

• IMG_5474.JPG
    File size:
    1,022.4 KB
    Views:
Shoot it like you stole it from harleybug gun)

If you turn the pointers around you can get an even better look at what's happening.

Sounds like you have an older action with flat base at rear? Could maybe shim the back one a bit and finish with a light lapping. I think if you fill/cover the rear ring 'hole' lapping material won't get in it. It might be easier than trying to bed the rear ring. Or maybe if you attached both rings to the lapping bar it would align the rings and allow you to bed the rear one. That's the price for being a nice guy, I guess. LOL

morning, I use Nikon scopes a lot. very reliable. I use warne bases and
rings. I have never had a problem with mounting a scope. yes sometimes
I have to turn the bases around to shorten the distance inbetween. but never could not mount a Nikon scope. Nikon monarch's r great scopes for the money.
thk. u
I didn't know warne offered a one piece mount.

Sounds like you have an older action with flat base at rear? Could maybe shim the back one a bit and finish with a light lapping. I think if you fill/cover the rear ring 'hole' lapping material won't get in it. It might be easier than trying to bed the rear ring. Or maybe if you attached both rings to the lapping bar it would align the rings and allow you to bed the rear one. That's the price for being a nice guy, I guess. LOL

I know, right! I thought about doing as you suggest but can't quite wrap my head around how to snug screws that are under the bar. I'll probably find something to plug the hole and lap the front ring first alone then start lapping them both. I want more material to come off the front. I think if I can split the difference on the front ring then follow up with the 2 the outcome will be more favorable.

Edit.. it's not a flat back. It's round

Last edited:
The thread title makes it a little hard to follow the thread, really you have an action issue which is easily resolved by bedding the rail then a light ring lap and your of to the races.

Its not a rail, they are talley lightweight rings. I'm sure you and most people here are very familiar with them, and yes I have acknowledged the action issue.. I'm just unsure of how to remedy the situation without going to a one-piece system.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.