Talley LW on Model 70 (directional?)

agdodge4x4

I know this has been hashed before, but I spent two weeks down a rabbit hole after realizing my old Leupold STD mount wasn't going to work with my Burris Signature rings. My existing rings were too high, and the Burris wouldn't twist into the bases, which may have been Leupold or Millett...I don't know but they had windage screws in the back. Once I decided the base has to come off, the world was my oyster.......

I ended up settling on EITHER

Warne Weaver style bases + Burris Signature Zee
OR
Talley LW mounts. These are the aluminum ones with the rings and base as one.

I think either will be suitable for a Stainless deer rifle in 270, but The Talley LW looks a little sleeker with one less connection point so...I think that's where I ended up, I have no clue what is 'better', and I'm fatigued from reading about it.

My question is, I can turn the rings to they are just about any orientation, but, with my Leupold VX3HD, I can actually set these up so the rings are about 1/16" away from where the front bell starts AND they are about 1/16" from where the zoom adjustment is. Literally, they are as wide out on the scope as they can be.

Is this the way I should do it? Or, should I turn the rings so they are on the 'inside' towards each other? I have plenty of eye relief already. I have to crane my neck forward to make the picture go dark, and I have to have my head way way back to make it bad the other way. In other words, where it is, it's great.

I just didn't know if there was a preference on ring width contact on the scope. I'll see if i can illustrate in ASCII.

Scope tube:
00oooooooooooooooooo000
____| |____ <---Base/Ring

OR

00ooooooooooooooooo000
|____ ____| <---Base/Ring

Then again, you can flip them any which way!

Yes you can flip them

I try to maximize distance between rings if possible, usually end up with both rings towards muzzle

__] __]
I like this. Thanks for the info.

I know a pic rail is by all metrics 'better'. However, they look don't look nice on a walnut stocked hunting rifle and give me no benefit over alternative nicer looking options. The classic STD bases look best to me, but those are sucky in their own ways. I also have Warne weaver style bases and Warne maxima rings that are an option. They are pretty clean looking.

I used a pic rail on my Marlin 336 because I have a lesser quality scope. The pic rail looks bad but it is the best option there due to limited options on bases for that rifle as well as needing more adjustment for eye relief. A Leupold VX3 has a million feet of eye relief, and I don't need that on the Model 70.