Taking the wife to WY!

I just got a Ruger American .243 for my son. He is 13 and will be his first goat hunt. Cheapest rifle I have ever bought price wise but so far I'm impressed with the quality and accuracy. Only paid around 330$....but the Zeiss 3x9 cost me another 350$ .

Thanks,
The rifle got good reviews so I took a chance on it. So far I have only tried some low end Winchester ammo to break the gun in and get the brass. It was a little over MOA but I'm sure with handloads I will get it down around 3/4". The trigger was surprisingly crisp but slightly heavy, probably around 4.5lbs or so. I didn't put a scale on it yet but I will adj. down to about 3 pounds for him.

I would say to anyone looking for an economical gun this has a lot to offer. Syn. stock w/ bedding block, nice trigger comes with bases for less than 350$.

Someone had said a 22-250, that would be illegal in Wyoming.

Last two times we went antelope hunting near Casper, as soon as the warden heard the bang-flop he was on our ***. And did check the caliber.

Someone had said a 22-250, that would be illegal in Wyoming.

Last two times we went antelope hunting near Casper, as soon as the warden heard the bang-flop he was on our ***. And did check the caliber.

I recommended .243 or .22-250! You might re-consider checking into the latest hunting regulation (I see that your from Casper, WY) like Topgun .30-06 has kindly noted below.

Better check the Wyoming Reg. for the new update, as they just made 22 caliber centerfires legal for antelope and deer a few weeks ago! Check out this link that list the changes made recently:

Wyoming Game & Fish Department

... also previously discussed >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/22-cals-legal-wyo-106991/

Some are heated discussion but I think we're all good now! :) :) :)

Feenix, that discussion did get a wee bit heated....

I have to vote 243. I've killed a LOT of critters the dismall .243, it's always performed well & laid the smack down. 6mm continues to sit atop my list of favorite calibers.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.