Taking my Sako TRG-S (M995) fron 7STW to a 30-378

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Sako7STW, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Sako7STW

Sako7STW Well-Known Member

I am thinking about changing my TRG-S from a 7MMSTW over to a 30-378WBY. I found a a barrel for it already that is a factory 30-378 barrel for $65 from a member on here. So what all will it take to change this over? I know the bolt face will have to be opened up or else maybe I can find a bolt somewhere? I have also just considered holding out till I can find one that someone is selling cheap because they have burned the barrel out or something and just build a second gun for cheap. I really love my gun I have now and it is an unreal shooter so maybe thats why I should build a second gun? I am more than sold on what the TRG-S is capable accuracy wise, I see many custom guns that cant come close and thats being honest! Anyways looking for suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Thought I should add, the idea is I want to build a 1000+ yard Elk hunting rig, Going to top her off with a Vortex Razor HD scope as well.

2. barreltwister

barreltwister Active Member

I've owned a couple TRG-S rifles, currently have one in 300 Win Mag and I've checked out a few more. I think all you'd have to do is open up the bolt face, extractor should work, and get a magazine for the 30-378. They are available online.

3. bb204

bb204 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the TRG-S bolt is the same as the TRG 42 ? If it is, you could buy a TRG 42 bolt assembly for the 338 Lapua. Don't know for sure, but they may be the same as the 378 Wby. bolt face, in size.