Taking a look at new Sauer and Mauser Offerings ???

alseg

Hi.
Looking forward to an Elk hunt later in the year, I wanted to check out the new lighter weight offering from Sauer, the 101 XT[ synthetic-stocked rifle, in my chosen caliber of 300 Win Mag. I traveled to a somewhat distant gun dealer (170 miles) for a quick shouldering.
The dealer suggested I look at a Mauser M12 extreme, (conveniently languishing in his display)also in synthetic. (Didn't get much else out of him as he was busy logging in an order of recently arrived handguns---plus he must've sized me up as a window shopper).
Both rifles are made in "Der Vaterland" by the same parent company, and both have heat-fitted barrels. The MSRP is nearly identical at $1459 or so.
Accuracy on the Sauer is reported extensively, and guaranteed at sub-MOA 5-shot group with factory ammo.
The Mauser has far fewer reviews on record, makes less dramatic accuracy claims, and the only non-partisan (is there such a thing?) professional firing review I found showed 3 shot groups with a limited ammo selection ranging from ho-hum to ok.
Both rifles were light, nicely balanced (give the edge to Sauer here, despite the Schnaubel forend which looks funky in black synthetic,), with the action and safety of the Mauser feeling a bit more solid and looking a bit more polished and artful. Both are push-feeders, the Mauser with 2 ejectors and without the traditional Mauserchester extractor claw).
Scope-wise, The Sauer takes Rem 700 bases, the Mauser specifies those of the Mauser model 98 (I would guess harder to find).
Here's my Question: Anyone out there with any experience with either of these? Or, perhaps willing to chime in on whether you save some moolah and go instead for a Tikka Lite (Stainless or blued) and pocket the change?
Thanks,

Last edited:
I have seen both in action and also read reviews about them. Nice looking rifles, and both build in the same (Blaser) plant (!?) in Isny, Bavaria. They are very precise shooters with top triggers and equal finish. The Mauser got more "compliments" due to its better safety (M 70 style). There is one crucial point you won't like, you can't change barrels...!!! :cool: I don't know the best English word for the process, but most likely the barrels are "shrinked in". BTW, an author in one of the reviews raised the question if the American customers would accept that? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

"..... There is one crucial point you won't like, you can't change barrels...!!! I don't know the best English word for the process, ...."

Yep, exactly what I meant by "heat fitted barrels" I think the folks in Europe refer to barrels that can be changed as "swap-able" or "changeable" and these are NOT able to be changed out.
t
One article stated that the barrel is pressed in after bluing but that the temperature is not high enough to damage the salts and change the color. Someone wondered if a hot barrel could come undone.
Another wondered if you got a bad barrel on the gun, would the company replace the entire rifle.

Was each model as accurate as the other?

Both rifles are almost identical due to their parts. So one is as precise as the other ... In European reviews the Mauser was a little bit better out. Looks also better if I would be asked. Normally all rifles, doesn't matter where they come from, have "usual" threads, so that a worn out barrel can be replaced. The new models are bad exceptions though. If say a 7 RM is worn out after 1200 rounds you just can throw the (quite expensive) piece on the garbage. I don't think that's adequate or fair.The main problem here is company policy ... lightbulb I'd to say in advance that there will be no such debate with me here on this forum! Many people who own a Blaser product will start defending the "whole thing" by all means even if it has nothing to do with the products in the first row.
The Blaser Company has bought both names and rights of Mauser, Sauer and unfortunately others famous producers in Germany (DWM/Minox) and the UK (John Rigby) and has almost gained kind of monopoly on the old continent. We have had and still have many hot discussions and debates concerning the company policy of Blaser. For me personally Blaser's policy is reason enough that I would never consider one of their products.
Do yourself a favour and purchase real craftmanship from the "Vaterland" like you call it! Get yourself a fantastic Heym SR21 or SR30 (Heym- USA located in Dallas/Tx) or a lovely inline- repeater by Krieghoff! Another superb brand would be the Danish Schutz & Larsen. Hope I could help you. gun)

Last edited:
Thanks again, Varberger757, for the cogent analysis.

Yes, all reviews on this side of the pond skewer the inability to swap out the barrel on both of these. Their price point is less than their marker's fancier models, but significantly more costly than, say, a Tikka T3.
After due consideration, and realizing that the life of a 300WM barrel might only be 1500 rds, perhaps, a Sako or Tikka would be a better investment in a light weight versatile LRH rifle.

Too bad that they lack changeable barrels, since the accuracy on Mauser M12 and Sauer 101XT are good, the latter with factory ammo and 5 shot groups, and they feel good in hand. The Blaser parent group would do well to note such objections if they wish to sell more product where the buffalo roam.

american-bison-winter-29421312.jpg

@alseg: "The Blaser parent group would do well to note such objections if they wish to sell more product where the buffalo roam."

Precisely! If the biggest and most interesting market in the world, the USA, won't accept the Blaser "tricks and games" on the new models, they'll have to change their minds rapidly. :)
BTW, Tikkas and Sakos are very precise and well produced rifles, but you shouldn't forget about a major problem. The "recoil - lug" issue they both share, but there are solutions as well. Due to that you will find many interesting informations on these sites. Good luck with your project! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.