Take the brake off?

When you remove the brake, you change barrel harmonics, Point of impact change for sure.

Here the Hunt, get a set of electronic ear muffs, and you will not believe what you have been missing!

I prefer to NOT have brakes whenever possible. It's not just me but the others around me who pay the price as well. That being said I do have rifles with brakes and I mosty leave them on and use electronic hearing protection as suggested. If I do remove them a trip to the range is called for to check zero.

I'm just tickled that someone finally spelled "brake" correctly :)

At longer ranges, it is nice to see your bullet impact on the animal, if your muzzle is pointed at the sky at the shot, you may not even know which way the animal ran!

With or without a brake, electronic ear muffs add another dimension to being in the woods!

Gentry muzzle brakes put a lot less concussion and sound on the shooter than typical Radial brakes. Side discharge brakes are more than I can take, and I have brakes on every rifle I own.

Gentry muzzle brakes put a lot less concussion and sound on the shooter than typical Radial brakes. Side discharge brakes are more than I can take, and I have brakes on every rifle I own.
Haven't shot a gentry brake. Do you use ear plugs? Why don't you like side port?
I love the Ross brake style. Side ports with top holes. Hunting high desert is not fun with a radial.

The Ross is very, very effective. Side discharge puts more blast on my which I am sensitive to.

If you are laying on the ground, you have no choice but to use a side discharge and Ross is at the top of my list!!

I would just wear ear plugs and ear muffs with side discharge brakes.

I have a 14T-22-243 AI to shoot 60g Sierra's at 4000, 24"(was a used BR barrel). I use a Ross side discharge brake on this caliber.

I'm just tickled that someone finally spelled "brake" correctly :)

LOL! I know what you mean. The last time I address the use of break vs brake (or misspelling), I was accused of being spelling police despite starting my post as "please take on offense ...). :D

I am a big fan of muzzle devices (brakes and suppressors) and it stays on.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.