Tac ii

dixokai

Hello folks,

I don't post much but I do a lot of reading. Good stuff here. I would like to get a good long range scope that I can put on a Rem. 700 in 7 mm RM. This rifle is capable of sub moa with careful hand-loading. I would love to go with a high end scope for this but it's just not in the budget for a while.

I have a few questions someone here might be able to answer. I am looking real hard at the Mueller TAC II. From what I can tell in most reviews this scope is outstanding and very repeatable, also has very good glass. I want a mil dot scope and this seems to fit the bill. Through e-mail I contacted mueller and got a very quick response I might add, and they were very confident that this would meet my needs (of course). I don't want a scope made in China but Mueller tells me the TAC II is assembled in Japan at the same plant many high end scopes are made. All other Mueller scopes are made in China.

If any of you have some input or thoughts on this could you please give me some feed back? The scope can be bought for around $270.00 but I can't afford to throw away that money if it's no good. From what I can see it has all the features I want for an extended range hunting scope.

Thanks for any input you might have......

Kai

I don't have one, but have heard very good things about even the low-end scopes and their customer service. I think it would be a good scope to go with for your budget. You might try asking this question over at snipershide or sniper central. If you get one let us know how you like it. I am getting ready to order a low end Mueller for my 10/22 custom.

i have had a lot of there scopes with only one problem witch was replaced by a new scope in under a week with no ????? asked just sent me a new scope. i had mostly the eradicators and they have been great. the glass is nice and clear it track good and holds up to the but whipping i put stuff thought. i would buy a Mueller in a hart beat

I've considered getting the Tac II, but never did. You've probably read all the reviews and tests. Most, if not all, are positive. Rumor has it that its made in the same factory as the Sightron Big Sky. Not sure if its true or not.

Based on the reviews and features, there doesn't seem to be any scopes that come even close to the Tac II for price. I believe the eye relief is 3" to 3.5" and can be somewhat critical. Eye relief is not constant, but there will be compromises at this price.

I had a Mueller 4.5-14x40 APV that had the reticle come loose. Mueller sent a replacement right away, no questions asked. I was satisfied with their service. The APV sells for $120 and compared really well to my Nikon Monarch 4-12x40. I tell you what, I spent a lot of time comparing the two and several times thought the APV was just as good as the Nikon for much less money. It was only at the very last minutes of daylight where the Nikon was still useable and the APV was not. No big deal for me since it was on a 22lr plinker. The glass in the Tac II is supposed to be better than the APV, so it should be an impressive scope for the money.

I usually don't like to waste time or money on cheap optics, but there are a few like the Mueller APV that have changed my mind. There will be downsides and you have to be willing to deal with them however. One thing I wouldn't worry about is Mueller's customer service as long as they don't get bought by someone else or they belly up.

I wouldn't hesitate to get one if 10x is enough for what you want to do and you think the eye relief is adequate. Those are two big "ifs" depending on what you plan to shoot and how far, and how much recoil your 7mm has.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post but I finally went ahead with the TAC II. So far I am very pleased with it. There were some that said this scope was made in China but the TAC II is made in Japan. Glass is sweet and the mils are precise. I was at the range sighting in and getting ready to do some tracking tests and go figure I was having problems with my bran new Rem 700 ADL. It's at the gunsmith now getting fixed. The scope seemed to be very exact on sight in. I will post up when I get the gun back and let you all know how it went.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.