T3 Lite 300WSM TSX reloads help

DartonJager

Will be receiving a new SST/SYN Tikka T3 Lite by weeks end in 300 WSM have been researching powders for it and are a little overwhelmed as the number of powders I'm finding that are reported to work quite well, but also have seen many postings claiming some of the best powders such as RL-17 and RL-22 for the 300 WSM are prone to considerable temperature sensitivity and I hunt in wildly varying temperatures.

I did three searches here but came up with surprisingly little information.

I will be developing loads for THE Barnes TSX IN two bullet weights at first.

Bullet #1 165 grain Barnes TSX primary use is for deer and antelope. Would like to achieve a minimum MV of 3000fps with this bullet.

Bullet #2 180 grain TSX for elk. Would like to achieve a minimum MV of 2850-2900fps with these bullets.

Please also share with me how far off the lands you set your bullets that gave you your best accuracy, or any other helpful facts concerning reloading TSX's.

Due to cost, would like to limit my selection at first to only two powders that will give me best possible accuracy and very good velocities, but accuracy is my first priority. The only reason I am somewhat hesitant to try VV powders is they are not available anywhere near me OTC and I have very good access to all other powders, bullets and primers OTC and would like to avoid the cost of buying powders through the mail.

Thanks, for any and all help,
Art.

I'm shooting 180 gr tsx and ttsx out of my tikka with great results.
1-1/4" groups at 200 yds, if I do my part.
I'll have to dig out my reloading book to get you specifics, but I remember that I used R19, 215GM, and was getting 2930fps. Near max load.

To simplify things, I wouldn't waste time with the lighter barnes bullets. The meat damage on the deer will still be minimal with them. I use the same load for deer or elk.

My elk load for my 300WSM is Barnes 168 grain TTSX in WW cases with 64.5 grains of RL 17. I know that RL17 is affected by temperature changes but this is a good load in my gun. You can use H4350 for both of your loads. RL17 and H3450 close in burn rate.

I picked up a 300 WM tikka T3 lite last year when the price dropped at Cabela's with the idea of building a short mag but it is one of my most accurate rifles and can't bring myself to change it. It will shoot 1 inch groups at 300 yards on a calm morning using a lead sled. I piller bedded it into a Boyds thumb hole stock and added a muzzle brake. The combination that dialed in uses once fired Nosler brass with WLRM primers, 200gr Berger Hybrids in front of 80gr of Retumbo. Muzzle velocity 10 ft out is 2890 fps. The seating depth is set to just fit in the magazine (OAL 3.690"). This is a compressed load and the bullet has to jump about 1/4" but it works. G7 BC I used to match the bullet arc at 3000ft elevation with my scope was 0.315 to hit all our targets out to 2000 yards. This is a truly impressive rifle and a pleasure to shoot. Have to let the barrel stay reasonably cool but just take a couple of rifles and trade off.

skip the 165s and get some 168 ttsx, i have a t3 and i get 3230 fps and .5-.75" groups at 200 yards and will do 2.5"-3.5" at 500 yards with rl17 powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.