300RUM 130gr.Barns TSX reloads?

Rick Friesen

Can anyone help me out. I have had successfully reloaded 180 Failsafes and 155 Barns through my 24" barreled Sako. I'm looking to reload 130 Tsx. I like using H1000 but open to sugestions. I was told to start with 97 to 102grs.

:)With this does anyone have the balistics for this combo?

The only way I can justify using 130g bullets from a 300 RUM is so you can shoot the throat out in 100 rounds so you can rebarrel it. Other then that, I see no practical use to the 130g bullet. It surely will shoot flat, but thats about it. As far as long range hutning goes, your at the total opposite end of the spectrum and way of thinking. Light/fast bullets only get you so far, where heavy/slow bullets will get you a lot farther and do so with more energy and more FPS and less wind drift.

You should be using at the smallest, 180g bullets from your 300 RUM to use the caliber to its full potential, and its better with 200+ bullets.

I shot a few (50) 125g NBT's from my 300 RUM at 3900fps. They were a BOMB to say the least and I doubt they would have even killed a coyote with there lack of penetration, probly would have knocked him out more then anything. It would totally vaporize a gallon jug of water out to 300 yards.

I'd use the 130g barnes on antelope and deer out to 600 yards or so, but thats about it. There is A LOT better bullets to be used out of the 300 RUM then the 130g barnes.

The only way I can justify using 130g bullets from a 300 RUM is so you can shoot the throat out in 100 rounds so you can rebarrel it. Other then that, I see no practical use to the 130g bullet. It surely will shoot flat, but thats about it. As far as long range hutning goes, your at the total opposite end of the spectrum and way of thinking. Light/fast bullets only get you so far, where heavy/slow bullets will get you a lot farther and do so with more energy and more FPS and less wind drift.

You should be using at the smallest, 180g bullets from your 300 RUM to use the caliber to its full potential, and its better with 200+ bullets.

I shot a few (50) 125g NBT's from my 300 RUM at 3900fps. They were a BOMB to say the least and I doubt they would have even killed a coyote with there lack of penetration, probly would have knocked him out more then anything. It would totally vaporize a gallon jug of water out to 300 yards.

I'd use the 130g barnes on antelope and deer out to 600 yards or so, but thats about it. There is A LOT better bullets to be used out of the 300 RUM then the 130g barnes.

Couldn't agree with Remingtonman more! You also really need to take into account the rate of twist of the barrel before you start jumping around on bullet weights.

I'm very new at this reloading in referance to the people on this talk site. Keep giving me ponters because I try to take them all in. However I used to use 180 failsafes on moose and 155 barns x for deer. With the success with the barns on our 250lb.+ deer with clean pass through, I started using them on moose. With the forestry clear cuts, the long shots are almost inevetable, and the wolves don't know what hit them. With this, I never went back to the 180's and figure 130's were the way to go.:rolleyes:

Well I and a few others on here can attest to what a 200g AB at 3200fps does to deer and elk. It HAMMERS them and leaves exits as well. Its also a 1000 yard load/bullet if you and your rifle are up to it.

That 130g barnes will fall flat on its as beyond 600 yards.

I blew through both scapulas on a small elk last fall at 589 yds with the above mentioned 200 gr load. I think it was dead before it hit the ground. I can see where a person would want to shoot a light bullet really fast to increase the point blank range but throat erosion is a real concern with the 300 RUM to begin with, much less running it at 3700 fps. Load up some 180's or 200's and develop a good drop and windage chart using either a ballistic type reticle or elevation and windage turrets.

Can anyone help me out. I have had successfully reloaded 180 Failsafes and 155 Barns through my 24" barreled Sako. I'm looking to reload 130 Tsx. I like using H1000 but open to sugestions. I was told to start with 97 to 102grs.

:)With this does anyone have the balistics for this combo?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rick and welcome to LRH .

Try this link to some free online ballistic software and other info. Big Game Info - A resource for the big game hunter

Jot down the "bc" of the barnes 130gr plug in the other info. like elevation caliber .308 of coarse etc. and then write down the amount of drop at 1000yds -then try it with the 200gr accubond or 210 berger vld -208 amax -you'll be surprised at the results.
As stated by the other guys -even though the big heavy bullet starts out slower it passes up the lightweight bullet at mid-range -then continues to leave the 130-180 bullets in its wake.

Disclaimer -200+grain bullets do have a bit more recoil !

Best of luck -Mike

Thanks for the link. I had no idea what I was infore. You are going to kringe when I tell you this but I was loadind with no way of calculating pressures or velocities. I was interchanging tips, as long as the weights were the same, within the load manuals. I guess my saving grace was that I stayed within the safe loads, not saying that I was in safe pressures but luckly no catastrofic results. Thanks again for the eye opener.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.