T/C Pro Hunter

WRG

Hey Guys

I just picked up a new 50 cal. T/C Encore Pro Hunter. I have been considering replacing the hinge pin because it does have some looseness to it. I was on Cecil Epps site and he has a ton of good information about the pro hunter. I was wondering if his hinge pin for $37.99 is what I should purchase or is there another manufactures pin thats just as good for less money. He also has a trick using heating aluminum tape which I may try first. I am amazed that T/C is aware of this problem but has done nothing to correct it.
I also noticed that Cabela's sells his Variflame primer adapter kit which I ordered, I was thinking the hinge pin they also have may be his as well. Anyone know for sure?

One more question does anyone have a good way to file down the ears on forearm stock to keep it from rubbing? I understand this is also a problem with the Pro hunter. I want to make sure I do a nice neat job and don't screw it up. I just want to take off a 1/16 or less on each side.

Thanks for any help.

Check out Mike Bellm, Bellmtcs.com He makes hinge pins and really knows his stuff on encores. I really don't think the hiunge pin makes as much difference on a mzzldr as it does on rifle. With the action closing on the case(bullet).
As far as the variflame I'v heard some primers can be too hot,blowing powder away from ignition hole. Mine works great with 209 primers
Check out Blackhorn 209 powder and TC slick shockwaves. A great combination for me. :)

ktms4me,

Thanks for the information. I actually did use Bellms hinge pin and I also got his trigger kit. I bought the 1x & 2x pins and ended up using the 1x. It took all the play out of the barrel and reciever. I literally just finished the trigger job moments ago and I must say it was easy. I went from a horable 6 lb pull to a crisp clean 2 lbs. This will definetly help with accuracy. I also bought a Bergara barrel chambered in 300 win mag. Can't wait to see how that works!

I will be using the Blackhorn 209 with the 209 ignition along with Barnes TMZ 250 & 290 gr sabots & Harvesters Scorpion PT Gold 260 - 300 grainers in my work up with the ML barrel. I have the Veriflame system so I can test the 777 powder with different primers. CCI Bench Rest & Winchester Magnum Small rifle and large pistol primers. I even went as far as to incorperate Harvesters "yellow" crushed rib magnum sabots into the work up. I will test them against the Barnes & Scorpion bullets standard sabot. All testing will be done at 100, 110, & 120 grains of powder. Then I'll take that data and see if I can improve it from there. Believe me I will find what works best this rifle. I usually do. I have two other ML's that are very accurate out to 200 yards. A T/C 50 cal Black Diamond & a 50 cal Remington Genisis.

WRG

Yes, please do share your findings! What was the problem with the hinge pin. Had you fired this rifle much? How many rounds had you put down it? I have the TC Prohunter in the .50 and use triple seven (100 grains) with the 250 grain Shockwave black sabot with the yellow tip and it shoots a 1" group at 100 consistently. And that is using the Win 209 Shotgun primer. I remove the breech plug and do a complete clean between shots. I have shot Cecil Epps 260 Grain Deadcenters before in other Encore .50 Cal muzzleloaders and got the same accuracy. Have never had a hinge pin problem. Use the same frame with at 7MM Rem Mag Prohunter barrel. With both barrels a total of 500 rounds have been put down range. Want to know more about this 200 yard stuff. What kind of group do you get? Do you clean the gun between shots or shooting sessions and do you keep the hinge pin oiled?

gun)U.S. Army Retired (1964 to 2005)

My ProHunter 209x50 is completely stock with the exception of a Bellum trigger. I experimented with all kinds of powder and many different projectiles. In the end my hunting/accuracy load turned out to be comprised of fairly common components.

I use 120gr (equivalent) charges which is actually 85gr weighed of Blackhorn 209. I pre weigh every charge and put the charges in small plastic vials. I use a 250gr Shockwave with the sabot provided. CCI 209 mag primers are used exclusively.

2" groups @ 200 yds are fairly common. I even shot a 3" group at 300yds on one occasion. Bullet drop was significant at that range. Barrel is always left fouled when shooting for group and is never patched between shots like I had to do with 777.

This "may" be a good place to start with a 209x50 before pouring tons of $$$$$ into all the fancy bullets and powders that are being advertised. Most of the supplies that I accumulated were given to the range officer after I found the BlackHorn/Shockwave combination.

After incorporating all of Mike Bellm's accurizing products for the Encore and finishing all the testing the results are a success. 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 by volume and then scaled for consistency, Barnes 250 grain TMZ and Harvester crushed rib "yellow" high pressure sabot "made for boat tailed bullets" and the Winchester 209 primer. My rifle will cut the same hole at 100 yards and shoot a 1.5" group consistently at 200 yards. I fire two fouling rounds and then shoot for groups. The reason for the fouling rounds is, as with most rifles the point of impact changes after the first round from a cold clean barrel. I want to insure my follow-up shot "if needed" is the same as the first so this is where I have it zeroed and I will hunt with it this way. I will give it a thorough cleaning when the season ends.

I now have over 200 rounds through this rifle and I am very satisfied with the out come. The toughest part of all the testing was finding a sabot that would consistently drop of the bullet correctly. The Harvester sabot is the best there is hands down. It drops of at around 8-9 yards from the barrel and opens up the same way each and every time. The second best sabot was the Barnes that comes with their bullet but from time to time, the sabot would have a pedal that was bent more or less than the others. This showed up on the target as a "flier". I cannot have that! It also would hang on to the bullet for about 20 yards before dropping off. To long for me! All other sabots are just plain junk! T/C shockwaves sabots are the worst of the worst and I would find them anywhere from 30-40 yards down range. The longer the sabot hangs on to the bullet in flight, the longer it takes the bullet to stabilize and that affects accuracy. The use of a "spin Jag" for starting the bullet down the muzzle and then using it to push the bullet down to the charge is the only way it should be done if any kind of accuracy is expected. If one is not used the sabot is pushed straight down the barrel and is scorn by the rifling, the proper pressure is not achieved, and this also has an effect on accuracy. By allowing, the sabot to spin down the barrel the sabot is now grooved the same as the rifling and you cannot get any better than that!

WRG

Check out Steve Stratton Stratton Custom Gun Accessories and Services, Formerly with Virgin Valley Custom Guns I too have a love affair with my Encore. I like the versatility. I have the .22lr, .50 cal muzzle loader and a .280 Remington bbl. Bellm spring kit, Stratton hangers and bedded forearm are a must for no vertical, Mike's reloading tricks with the dial indicator for the centerfire helped me bring mine to a Grand Agg of .480 @ 100 yds . I simply love my Encore, I use it for muzzle loading season on deer and hogs rifle season for them critters too and then squirrels with the .22lr bbl. when rifle season comes to a close. All barrels shoot something fierce. I have the same mounts and scopes on all three 28" Prohunter bbls. No transition between weapons. It's like an old friend you have known for years. Heck That little .22 will almost hang with my bench guns for RBA. Warning this will get very expensive :) As far as the forearm use a sanding block and 120 grit working down to 300. That's how I did my ears.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.