T/C Pro Hunter problems

dogseat2

Sorry but needing your input and help-ideas, this is for a buddy of mine.

Okay let me explain my buddy has above gun I shoot BH209 Harvester PT 300 grain with black crush ribbed sabot, My gun shoots them great I have convinced him to switch over from pellets and 250 grain bullets. So hes switched to same load 110BV BH and same bullet/sabot. So here comes the problem new gun new scope new powder everything new CCI 209M primmers he goes to sight in 100 yards and bullets are hitting 5-6 feet short of paper target into ground, raises scope up no change maxes scope out on height gets it on paper 6-8 inches low right left suck cant make scope move? hes ****ed off and gives up after 20 shots, goes out next day puts pellets back in goes back to old set up in his older gun and is right on target fine tunes and is good. My brain is racked as why BH will not shoot. My thought is not getting BH to fire does he need a bigger primmer hole (flash hole) i have searched far as I can go on internet with out findings, Your help please and if I missed anything will try and answer.

My cheap Traditions shoots great as well as 3 others with out a problem 3/4" group at 100 yards so easy to clean that I like shooting wanting to get him into Blackhorn and my set up.

Scott

I'm going to guess lock time and a flinch. To detect it have him let you load his gun. Give him 2 rounds in a row with regular charge & bullet and give him the third one with no powder or projectile, primer only. Watch the muzzle. Betcha he's not following through. Beyond that, have you tried a chronograph to determine velocity? If he's getting 300fps lower velocity he'll have a hard time correcting for it.

Is he seating his bullet ........ HARD........ on BH?

If he's used to shooting pellets, which you can't crush, he's probably not seating the bullet hard enough on BH. Seat the sabot/bullet HARD.

Clean the flash channel of carbon using BY HAND, a 1/8" drill bit. Example below....

I seated it on my Pro Hunter at 106#. That's a HARD two handed thump.

Note: I have precision measuring tooling (force gage) for accurate measurements.

I will go out and shoot with him and see what he does and take a powder charge of mine and compare, i was worried hes not getting enough primer flash to light the charge up. as far as chronograph not a option in this cats goodies. I wouldnt think hes moving and jumping the gun its in a rest for one and he has more yrs shooting then me, i think its funny he goes back to his old ways and gun shoots good and sights in just fine.

For the most part everything sound good. Seat that bullet in good and snug. Make sure flashhole is cleaned well. Maybe check HIS BH powder, is it a new can or old? My set up
Is BH (110-120) Barnes 250 tmz with crush rib sabots and win 209. Center fire type ignition every time. Tight groups. Out of my 50cal pro hunter. Since it holds true with the old load then I'd say it's not scope and rings so this is a stumper if one of the mentioned remedies doesn't fix it.

I am thinking of switching to BH209 my self and from what I'm reading he may not be getting enough ignition win the factory breech plug.

ALL factory Pro Hunter breech plugs will without issue, ignite BH. However if the shooter isn't cleaning the carbon from it, it'll loose flame/pressure. Thus the 1/8" drill to chip the carbon from the flash channel.

Well more information, he gave up on it, I still say not enough fire to light it up, its a brand new gun right out of the box, again our three Tradations fired fine I left mine in jeep for a wk loaded and went out and put one down no problems. will get him to work on it some more. oh ya was a brand new sealed btl of BH i took 110 grains out of it and shot it through mine, also gave him my cci 209m primers as well. I think he needs to open the flash hole up with drill bit but hes thinking no.

Should not have to do that and I wouldn't recommend it either. Drilling it out would allow too much gases to leak back out the breach. I would say make sure it's cleaned well But don't make the flashier bigger.

Is the Blackhorn going off or isn't it? If he is shooting way low, that is a different problem altogether. My Encore was shooting two foot low myself. Almost maxed the scope out getting it on paper. I used Burris Signature rings with inserts to shim my scope. Or you could by a .20 moa scope base to help with elevation. If it is Blackhorn not going off, that problem I've never had in my Encore as long as I've kept my breech clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.