T/C Encore 223 & 6mm twist rate

roundss

I've been looking around and the twist rate for the t/c encore 28" I saw were 1/12 for the 223 and 1/10 for the 6mm. Does that seem kinda slow for them?
While looking up the twist rate here I found a bunch of issues people had with the triggers as well. Is that still an issue? Most of the threads I found were older.
I also didn't see (prolly not looking close enough) where they were still selling the 6mm, have they just gone to the 243? I see older #'s but nothing new.

If these are questions you have answered a million times, sorry in advance, I just couldn't find.

those are basic twistrates for guys that don't reload and shoot factory ammo ,I don't know of any ammo factroy loaded for the 243 or 6mm that woulden't stabilize in the 1-10 twist but us longer range guys use longer bullets and they like the faster twist. The 223 on the other hand has alot of factory offering that call for at least a 1-9 twist.

I posted the thread on the Encore Pro hunters having poor triggers and I have done 2 more since then and both were the same and the rest though the weight of pull was a bit lighter the quality of the trigger was still poor , a new spring some stoning and about a hr of your time and you can have a realy nice trigger or at least alot better.

If your wanting a hot 6mm cal you could get the 243 and have it rechambered to 6mmAckley improved that would give you a good bit more speed and it might shoot the 105 class bullets though I woulden't bet on it. But out of a 28" barrel I think the 6mmAckley could get you in the 3800fps range pretty easy with the 75gr bullets if your looking for a good varmint gun.

In WA we are limited to using the 243 or 6mm as the lowest (or one of the lowest) caliber bullets that you can use for deer. I would love them to be accurate (or as accurate as I am) out to 300-500 yds. I'm not sure if the twist rates would cause a problem at that range. I would not be shooting the 243 (more than likely a deer gun for my son) over 200 yds but if I wanted to smack a p-dawg at 500 that would be a bonus.
From what I understand the faster twist rates are better for the larger gr bullets, especially the 223, the smaller bullets exploding after leaving the barrel with the faster twist barrels. I just want to make sure the bigger bullets at long range are going to be spinning as fast as they should (or can).

I highly doubt that you could blow up any bullet shooting them from a 1-8 barrel chambered in 223 unless they were very thin jackteted or the barrel was rough.
the 243 is an awsome deer rifle out to 400yds with good bullets like the 100gr Ballistic tips or the heavier Hornady SST's both of which will shoot from a 1-10 barrel. and the 243 loaed up with a 55gr Ballistic tip would easly get 4000fps out of a 28" pipe and would way more than a Prairi dog could stand at 500yds , with a 75 gr you would easly reach out to 700yds.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I appreciate your assistance and patience. sometimes wading through what's on the web can be a little difficult for the newbie.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.