Swelling brass

Anneal cases every time after being shot and you eliminate spring back from hardened brass. See if that does not solve the problem.

What is the rifle? I ask because, just last night, I was resizing some 270 Win brass and a box (20rds) of R P that someone gave me would not resize without getting stuck. I didn't get any stuck but I could tell if I pushed it they would have.
I was measuring all the brass off the datum line and these were at least .010" longer than any of the other brass I was processing. I tried several, lubing the inside of the necks and the case body but to no avail. As I set there pondering what to do I was spinning the case body in my fingers and could feel ridges, not out of round but several ridges that ran the length of the body. Neck and shoulder felt fine. Made me think the cases had been stretched during the firing/extraction process. Not to offend anyone but I figured a Browning BAR shooter may have given them to me. Not sure though.
Either way, I tossed them and kept on prep'n.
Im
Using rcbs dies and trimming the cases after firing. I think it's just
If you have a set of feeler gauges you can do a quick test by making sure the shell holder is contacting the die and then lower the ram and put a feeler gauge inbetween the shell holder and case and see if it helps. if so you can use some fine emery cloth and a flat surface and take some off the top of the shell holder. if you use a circular motion or a figure 8 motion and it will stay even. You can measure your progress with calipers.
Awesome. Thank you

Doesn't Redding make shell holders that are plus or minus? In other words I think you can buy a holder that is like adding to the bottom of the die as well as a holder that is like taking some off the die. Maybe someone with personal experience could confirm.

Doesn't Redding make shell holders that are plus or minus? In other words I think you can buy a holder that is like adding to the bottom of the die as well as a holder that is like taking some off the die. Maybe someone with personal experience could confirm.
They do not. The Competition shell holders are taller that a standard shell holder and so they only allow less sizing not more. I do wish they would make a set of - minis shell holders as well.

Yes they do. The confusion comes from how the shell holder set is marked. Set the press using the shell holder marked +.010. If that is not enough shoulder set back insert the holder marked +.008. That will give .002" more sizing. Each of the other holders will provide .002" additional sizing for a total possible increase in shoulder setback of .008" from the first shell holder. The instructions included are quite clear. Additionally there are some good utube videos showing the process.

Yes they do. The confusion comes from how the shell holder set is marked. Set the press using the shell holder marked +.010. If that is not enough shoulder set back insert the holder marked +.008. That will give .002" more sizing. Each of the other holders will provide .002" additional sizing for a total possible increase in shoulder setback of .008" from the first shell holder. The instructions included are quite clear. Additionally there are some good utube videos showing the process.

the thing you're missing is ; the +.010 sizes .010" LESS than the standard shellholder . so when you start with the 010 shellholder and work to the 002 shellholder if you still need more sizing the next step is the standard shellholder .

What is the rifle? I ask because, just last night, I was resizing some 270 Win brass and a box (20rds) of R P that someone gave me would not resize without getting stuck. I didn't get any stuck but I could tell if I pushed it they would have.
I was measuring all the brass off the datum line and these were at least .010" longer than any of the other brass I was processing. I tried several, lubing the inside of the necks and the case body but to no avail. As I set there pondering what to do I was spinning the case body in my fingers and could feel ridges, not out of round but several ridges that ran the length of the body. Neck and shoulder felt fine. Made me think the cases had been stretched during the firing/extraction process. Not to offend anyone but I figured a Browning BAR shooter may have given them to me. Not sure though.
Either way, I tossed them and kept on prep'n.
The chamber that cases were fired in probably experienced chatter when the chamber was being reamed. Chatter produces longitudinal lines in chamber and also makes a high pitch squeal or squeaking when reamer is cutting. Case fills out those lines in chamber when fired.

The chamber that cases were fired in probably experienced chatter when the chamber was being reamed. Chatter produces longitudinal lines in chamber and also makes a high pitch squeal or squeaking when reamer is cutting. Case fills out those lines in chamber when fired.
Makes a ton of sense to me. Hard to believe a rifle could leave a facility like that. Thanks for the info.

Im
Having problems resizing.270 wsm brass after shooting. This has been going on for awhile now, fired brass after resizing will not fit into receiver. I bought another set of dies thinking I had a bad set, same issue. Now trying to just resize neck with standard resizing die and it is better but still stiff. Ive resorted to throwing fired brass out and loading new when I need loads. Any ideas?

1605460154629.png

Check the dimensions in the red circles. The 1.7300" - .0070" dimension will be the headspace of the cartridge. All dimensions are SAAMI Max for the cartridge.

My guess is that the .5550" diameter dimension at the bottom of the body is the problem. If that's so then you need to find a small base full length resizing die or simply take material off of the top of the shell holder (be aware that this will shorten the case at the shoulder). Either way you will need to resize the case body lower - back off your powder charge a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.