Swarovski Z5 vs Whiskey 5

Prieto9000

I need a scope for my new build and can't decide between these two. I'm looking at the Z5 5-25X52 BT and the sig sauer whiskey 5 5-25X52I currently have a Z6 2-12X50 and a Z3 3-10X42 an love the optics. Both the Z5 and W5 are in the same price range so that is no determining factor, it´s just about quality and features. I like the idea of the level plex reticle as well as the illuminated dot on the W5, but I'm concerned it lacks the optical quality the Z5 has. I´ll take better optical quality over bells and whistles every day of the week. I´d rather have 5 more minutes of hunting light over a red dot or a cant indicator inside the scope.

I need a scope for my new build and can't decide between these two. I'm looking at the Z5 5-25X52 BT and the sig sauer whiskey 5 5-25X52I currently have a Z6 2-12X50 and a Z3 3-10X42 an love the optics. Both the Z5 and W5 are in the same price range so that is no determining factor, it´s just about quality and features. I like the idea of the level plex reticle as well as the illuminated dot on the W5, but I'm concerned it lacks the optical quality the Z5 has. I´ll take better optical quality over bells and whistles every day of the week. I´d rather have 5 more minutes of hunting light over a red dot or a cant indicator inside the scope.
Hi Prieto,

I also love Swarovski products. I recently developed a long range recipe for my 7 MM WBY and now I want to step up from my Z3 3-10x42 with plex reticle to a big boy scope so that I can get out to 500 yards and beyond.

Will the Z6 2-12x50 with the BRH reticle be a good choice? If not, what would your number one Swarovski choice be?

To me the question of does swarovski have the better glass the answer is almost always yes, no matter what you compare it to, that being said I would probably go with the whiskey moa milling hunter for the turrets and reticle, unless your going to get a custom turret for the swarovski, also optics planet says the z5 has been discontinued? Unless I'm looking at the wrong one

Thank you bkillion. I was thinking of buying the Z6 with the lined reticle for my hold overs. You plug in your factors into the Swarovski ballistics calculator and then it gives you a print out. Check out the attached photo from their actual calculator.

Attachments

• C51E8DED-4918-4FEB-8977-AC202376842D.jpeg
    C51E8DED-4918-4FEB-8977-AC202376842D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 290
My thoughts mirror bkillion28 on the glass quality. Swarovski USA still list the Z5 on their website and as far as I know they are still being made. It is interesting that the Whisky 5 has a 1 metre water proof rating where the Z5 has a 4 metre water proof rating. This indicates to me that the Z5s are made to a higher standard.

Thanks for your response! I've been in contact with Swarovski and the two options that I'm really considering are the Z5 2.5-15x44 BRH (yes still produced) and the Z6 3-18x50 BRH.

If someone offered you both of those scopes for free which one would you want to put on your gun?

Thanks Rich! I've already decided to ditch the BRH reticle in favor of the ballistic turret. Do you agree that is a good move?

Swarovski don't make a Z5 2.5-15x44mm, the only Z5s are 3.5-18x44 and 5-25x52.
The 2.5-15x44 is a Z6, I have one on my Cooper 25-06 and it is a fantastic scope. IMO the ballistic turret is much easier that the BRH.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.