Swaro EL Rangfinder Binocs - User Opinions

true1911

Swarovski 10x42 EL Rangfinder Binoculars - I have searched the forums and only found a small amount of information on these binoculars and the opinions are mixed. Most opinions are also at least a year old.

I would like to make the switch to a combo rangefinder/binoc and want to buy the best so I only have to buy once. I'm trying to decide between the Leica's the Swaro's and the Zeiss. I'm most interested in the Swaro but want the best Rangefinder. I'm currently running the Leica 1600 and off a tripod have ranged 1800 meters off a tree. I shoot out to 1750 yards and I'm scared that I won't get that good of performance from any of the binoc/RF combos.

Swaro EL Binoc RF users please share opinions on:
1. Should the two year warranty on the Swaro RF Binoc worry me?
2. What ranges can you consistently range?
3. If you were buying today would you buy the Swaro RF/Binoc again?
4. Have you compared the Swaro RF/Binocs against any of the competition and what were your impressions?

Please share any other relevant information that you thing might be useful concerning the Swarovski EL Binoc/RF.
Thanks.

There is a recent thread where the poster actually purchased this pair. Listed below.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/swaro-binos-93321/

Maybe we can bump him up for an opinion.

I use older Zeiss glass and love it, Swaro is probably better, at least in their spotting scopes.

My concern with a product like this involves the electronics, as we are all aware all electronics has a life span. If you have the coin, then don't worry. I will say one thing Zeiss and Swaro make very nice products.

I would really like some feedback on them also, one of the problems has been availability they aren't for sale at a variety of places consistently. I am somewhat surprised swaro hasn't really geared up to sell these for the upcoming hunts that start in august, people are looking at gear to buy and hunt with for this fall coming up in a month or so.

I have looked at them pretty close and they are very comfy to use and the glass is awesome I just would like confirmation that the RF unit is indeed more powerful than the geovids I already have. I would probably have upgraded but my dealer account that allows me to get them for about $400 less than retail hasn't had them in stock yet and I aint paying over $2900 retail for them. I think they are also a tad expensive compared to comparable units from zeiss or leica.

I used a pair that a friend had .Spent a day at the range, another friend has the gevoids,wish I had them at same time. Had Lieca 1600.The Lieca ranged faster and on some areas on moutain side typical where I hunt.Timber,cliffs,scree.This was in the 12-1400 range.Sometimes not geting range w/swaro. I had 10-42 el and traded them for 10-32 el as I liked size.The glass and ero is great. I did not like,I think it was left hand trigger and reading in one eye piece,cant remeber which one.But felt awkward for me.The Swaro did bet longer readings than the Lieca out to 1800 on dark trees, had a harder time on cliffs than the Lieca.After using them, not in love with them.My binos and Lieca 1600 are lighter than the Swaro unit.

I appreciate you posting the link but I am really looking for people who have used the product for more than 30 seconds at the SHOT Show. I know there are people on here who have been running them for at least a year. I really want to hear their thoughts on them after having used them. I know the Swarovski optics are phenomenal but I really want to know about the rangefinder. I would love to combine my rangefinder and binocular into one unit but I don't want to sacrifice quality on either one. Based on the responses so far others want to hear field reports as well. Its surprising that there are not more people who have used these that have reported their experience.

Guys,
Having used these continually hunting for almost a year now, I have this to say about the pair I have. They are the best rangefinding bino combo on the market for a serious longrange walkabout hunter. They have superb optics, a rangefinder that will range to typical hunting targets/trees etc to over 2000 yards in lowish light, and 1800 yards in bright light. I have both Geovids and Zeiss RF's, and the EL's are in another league above. Their inbuilt TBR feature works superbly, and we've taken large Red stags and Wapiti (Elk) bulls to 1000 yards with them so far, and all sorts of very steep angles over 30 degrees, and they've been right on the money. I have taken other female deer to 1200 yards with them.
The Geovids hate light cloud and light rain, and neither the Geovids nor the Zeiss RF's have the TBR feature
I say again, comparing all three top European rangefinder/bino combos, the EL's are in another league. There are more powerful tactical type units, but none more suitable to the serious hunter.
Now I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone, but these are my thoughts on the pair I have,
Greg

That is interesting because I got readings with the Leica 1600,where the Sawro took many tries or wouldnt read in ten.This was at local range and mountain behinds,that is typical to or area.1200-1400.Rock out cropings,clumps of trees.I have a friend with the Gevoids,but have only used them antelope hunting. I also have a bud w/terriapin and the swaro is not in that league.I know you arer talking combo,but after using one,I am as well of with 2 units and less weight with what I have for so little gain.And I am a PRO Swaro guy.The Swaro did out distance the Lieca ,but at about 5 times cost.Might save money and get a terrapin that out distance the swaro easy.

sp6x6,
It sounds to me like your set may have been faulty? I have used 3 different sets and all of them eat the Leica's by a large margin in all conditions in ranging capability. Either that or I've struck 3 exceptional sets! The Zeiss RF's come close, but peak out at 1700 yards, and neither have the EL's TBR feature.
As I said, there are other straight rangefinders and larger tactical style bino/rangefinders like the Vectronix etc and military units like my LRP-3 (35kms!) that will certainly beat them in ranging capability, but as a serious walkabout hunting rangefinder/bino, there is currently no equal.
I didn't say they are the cheapest, but if you consider the cost of a set of top quality European binos, and any rangefinder capable of around 2000 yards, they are good value in my opinion. And if you consider the weight of a 10x42 binos and a rangefinder, you are lighter in all up weight as well. On top of that there is no doubt you will get more game having both in the one unit. It is simply quicker, especially when you consider the excellent TBR feature. I have no allegiance to any brand. I just want the best for hunters, and at the moment the EL Range is definitely that in the category we're talking about.
Greg
ps, there is no comparison between the old Swaro monocular Laser Guide 8x30 and the new EL Range. The Laser Guide doesn't even come close in ranging capabilities.

NZ, have you been able to compare the glass on the EL Rangefinder bin's to those of the EL Swarovisions?

I really want to pull the trigger on the EL ranging binoc's but was just curious how much I was going to give up in optical quality compared to my EL Swarovisions.

Thank you

OLI,
I've done side by side optical tests against two different test patterns with the new SLC HD Swarovisions. The EL Range was the equal of the new SLC's resolution wise, so you're giving up nothing. I haven't compared them with the latest 10x42 EL's, but have with the latest 10x32 Swarovision EL's, and the EL Range again was at least as good resolution wise.
Greg

I bought a Swarovski 10x42 EL Range Binocular and sent it to a friend in Idaho to try out. He and some of his friends were at a bow competition last week end and were also trying out and comparing various rangefinders that members of the group had. My pair of Swarovski EL Range Binoculars only reached 1026 yds once and all other attempts were less than 1000yds while another pair was consistently ranging above 1800 yds. They changed the battery in mine but this did not help. They also had Bushnell Fusion Binocular Rangefinder ranging better than 1800 yds as well as Zeiss.

Is there anything else to try before sending them back to Swarovski?

NZ is there a maximum range that the EL Range will compute and show the corrected shooting distance for an angle shot. I believe I saw somewhere that it would compute the corrected shooting distance out to 1000 yds and after that you had to use the angle to figure your drops.

If I have mine set on displaying the corrected shooting range and I am trying to range something in the 1500 yd area at an angle could this be affecting my unit not ranging that for? Just groping for possible answers.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.