SURPRISE IN BOX OF NEW BULLETS

Far North Hunter

I opened a new box of name brand bullets and something about the size made me check the actual weight of the bullet. The box said 140 gr., in fact they were 130 gr. Could have been a real problem if the scenario was reversed and it was140's in a 130 box, especially given the charge I was using. In 55 yrs of reloading this is a first. Makes me wonder if I should check actual weight each time I open a new box.

Makes me wonder if I should check actual weight each time I open a new box.
Yes, mfg errors do happen. Ive had similar happen with oversized bullets. Now I mic and weigh 1 sample from each order.
I recall Ron Spomer was filming a video and was using factory ammo and one of the bullets in the box was I think an entirely different caliber.
Mfg errors happen.

Makes me wonder if I should check actual weight each time I open a new box.

Unfortunately, it pays to check, measure and weigh a selected bullet from each new box. High speed manufacturing and a lack of employees trained to ascertain quality control is the harbinger of potential failure.

What would be the response of the manufacturer when you fired a larger bullet in a smaller bore when it was packaged wrong? I can only guess that they would state you are responsible for knowing what you load. If that's the outcome of their error, start by measuring first. CYA.

:(

Do you have another box box from the same lot I was wondering if it was a single box or a whole lot? Thanks for the heads up. That is the one thing I like about nosler with the different colors tips for caliber I'd does nothing for weight. I have dropped a some and found more than I dropped had to get the mic out to check

Over the last 50 years of loading 2X I've found a stray bullet (something that's not supposed to be in the box). Luckily both times I felt the difference in the bullet when I was getting ready to seat it.

From time to time I see morons at the LGS opening boxes of bullets in the isles so the can look at the bullets. I'm for betting this is the time when things get mixed up.

Why oh why do guys sit in the isles and stare at bullets in boxes...:)