Surplus Powder

Matt27

For all the guys using surplus powder.

What have you noticed about this powder with temperature swings? Shooting in the summer to shooting in the winter.

I have been wanting to try some WC872 in my Lapua but am hesitant.I don't know if the sensitivity of the powder is worth it.

Thanks

Matt,

If your running top loads you will need a summer and winter load with this powder. At least that is what I am seeing from my testing so far and what I am hearing as well.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Ball powders are temp sensitive. If you are using a toasty load, you better adjust for temp. A real pain but the powder is cheap and with these hungry monsters, not bad to load before you go out.

I would adjust my load every 15DegF of weather change. So from summer to fall, I would need a different load for sure.

Only the new generation of ball powders like Magpro and some from western powders is supposed to be temp insensitive.

The same applies for many old style stick powders. All IMR powders fall into this class. Only the Hodgdon Extreme powders can go from summer to winter without much fuss.

I have used several of these powders and showed no change in my drop tables from summer to fall. Nice but pricey compared to WCC872.

Jerry

Thanks guys.
Kinda what i thought. I might just try it out but as i have progressed i only look for the best groups and then go shoot ALOT and work on the other variables that make this game so frustrating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I would rather go fling lead downrange and pay a little more for powder and not worrying about doing load developmant each time Logging the results but if i can increase my muzzle velocity then i might have to reconsider.

It is not that we have nothing to worry about, but ambient temperature has always been a factor, when handloading.

What I would like to say is that temperature sensitive powders are not something to avoid like the plague. What I see from new shooters is that they have picked up on the buzz word like a duck on a june bug.

I have yet to use a new and improved temperature stable rifle powder; but I am careful about not exposing hot loads to sunlight, and clearly mark all subzero loads with a sharpie, or equivalent.

The other thing is that I seldom (truly) max out a load, I prefer maximum case life, to the last few FPS.

In short, I don't see the problem; or to be more precise, I think the problem is vastly overrated. A product of the Marketing Dept. and mandated by the lawyers.

But, that's just my personal opinion.

Good hunting. LB

Littledevil,

Yes, it works even better then AA8700 in the 257 and 6.5mm with the 130 and up bullet weights. Is perfect for the 156 gr ULD in the 257 AM.

In the 270 Allen Mag it performs extremely well with the 169.5 gr ULD.

This is the only powder I use in my Allen Mags with the ULD bullets and suspect it will also be the only one I use in my new 7mm Allen Mag with the 210 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.