Surgeon Action Weak Ejection

We make our own mini M16 extractors, and we do not put a cut on the corner like your describing. Our testing showed that made little difference in correcting the problem.

Why were you testing it? You have a three lug bolt. A three lug shouldn't have the problem.

It doesn't matter how many lugs you have, extraction and ejection are based on the same principles.
We tested it to see how much relevance it had with ejection.

It doesn't matter how many lugs you have, extraction and ejection are based on the same principles.
We tested it to see how much relevance it had with ejection.
It does matter how many lugs you have. With a two lug you can't place the extractor where it needs to be to get a good ejection angle, one of the lugs is where the extractor needs to be. On a three lug you can.

Is there a bevel on the top of your extractor?
I'll have to check......Called Surgeon and they said sorry but only fix was to have smith remove the extractor and machine it to change the angle of ejection.....Expensive lesson learned. Will have my local Texas guy do it instead of sending back out of state:(

20180301_154703.jpg
Is there a bevel on the top of your extractor?
Wasn't real impressed with Surgeon. They sure didn't offer to fix it.....Even though I have several and never had issues, don't think I'll ever buy another.

No....Ryan Pierce at Piercision Rifles. Guess that what happens when good companies get bought out and grow. Should have gone with another Defiance. I feel like they would have made it right.

Here's a picture of the bolt from a Stiller TAC 300. This is a right hand bolt. View attachment 92572
Looks pretty much like my Surgeon.....I've had Stiller and Defiance with this type extractor and no issues. Tested mine again last night by placing a thin piece of paper under my windage turret and very slowly opening the bolt. Even then the casing pops straight up upon clearance with such force that the edge of the neck cuts the paper! This is clearly not right since the angle would hit any type scope. Frustrates me that Surgeon won't make it right. Like I said, I'll never buy another. Kicking myself for not going with another Defiance......

If you decide to get rid of that action, I might be interested in buying it.

I'll have to check......Called Surgeon and they said sorry but only fix was to have smith remove the extractor and machine it to change the angle of ejection.....Expensive lesson learned. Will have my local Texas guy do it instead of sending back out of state:(

This is not a new problem and normally only shows its ugly head when target turrets are used. there are however older actions that have always had this problem, even with standard turrets. They tend to ding the case mouth during ejection because of the angle of ejection.

For those that are not in to much of a hurry, I am working on a simple fix that does not require a gunsmith to do anything. I do not intend to sell these and will show the membership or the Do it yourselves guys how to make one themselves or buy the parts for almost nothing.

A little more testing is all that required and it should be ready.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.