suppresssor thread engagement

bonedoc56

Have a Q.LLC "Full Nelson" suppressor on my Tikka t3 in .308. It seems that there is a lot of empty space between the shoulder of the suppressor to where the threads start. When I screw it on, its DT, there is only about 1/4" thread engagement on the barrel. Its about 3 1/2 turns. Seems to me thread engagement should at least match the diameter of the threads with is 5/8". Worried that this is not enough. Should I have the mounting side of the suppressor CNC'ed down to eliminate some of the empty space. This would functionally increase the length of thread engagement on the barrel. I can't seem to find anywhere how many threads it needs at a minimum. Industry fastener standards usually say oit should match the diameter of the threads.
Thank You

I'm doing research for my friend. To make things simpler. How far in length should a suppressor screw on the barrel? His situation is that fully attached the "can" only threads on the barrel 1/4" at best

Can you include a picture? I think I know what you're saying, but I want to be sure.

The rear shoulder of the can should hit the shoulder on your threads. This is necessary for coaxial alignment.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I'm doing research for my friend. To make things simpler. How far in length should a suppressor screw on the barrel? His situation is that fully attached the "can" only threads on the barrel 1/4" at best

I've never seen that be correct, but I don't have a Q can either, so I am not certain if they are as weird as some of their other products are.

All my rifle suppressors have at minimum a standard .600" thread engagement.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I agree. The Tikka, thou not in front of me, has a long threaded area. Its the "can" that is strange. The area of the "can" is square at the mounting shoulder and as you look in towards the threading there is a tapper for about 1/2" then the threads start. I send a question to 'Q". We'll see if they answer. Bad thing about this is that you can just go and return it and get another brand. You have to make it work somehow.

Most rifle muzzle tenon length I've seen and threaded are at least 0.600
yes, its not the barrel thread length, its the "can". Even thou is a DT, it has a taper from the shoulder to the threads, So now is my buddy supposed to get his barrel "tapered"?

Not mine- but here is a pic of the threads from a sales add online
Screenshot_20221126-103603_DuckDuckGo.jpg

The number of threads isn't as important as whether the shoulder on the can hits the shoulder on the barrel behind the threads. Also, the new "taper" thread spec that's floating around incorporates the taper lock you typically see on a thunderbeast brake attach... right onto the thread. It's possible that's what its setup for. To take advantage of that, the barrel needs to be machined for it.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The "can" shoulder on the barrel fine. It's just that with only 1/4" of thread engagement afraid the can will eventually blow off. Lot of stress on a small surface area. Looks like he needs to get a 25 degree shoulder cut on his barrel