Suppressors????

blipelt

I have been looking at a suppressor for my hunting rifle. One thing that I can't get past is the effectiveness(no experience just what I have read) of them. Can someone with experience shed some light on the subject for me.

Brent

Shooting sub sonics rounds supressors are pretty darn nice, no hearing protection needed, although I still wear it. Effectiveness with subs is about like uncoupling an air hose quick disconnect. I do not like shooting supersonic through my supressor, supersonic kinda defeats the purpose IMO. Unfortunately sometimes I have one jump supersonic with my current load.

You might not want to get one. I have been known to burn up 300-400 208 a-maxs in an afternoon just shooting plinking. I have had to slow down shooting 300 whisper and have been shooting more supressed rimfire to keep the costs down for the harder to find 208s. With the rimfire shooting the heavy 60gr subs in my 10-22 you hear more bolt slap than anything else.

That is alot of amaxs. I hate to ask but what suppressor? I have been looking at Yankee Hill phantom. Mainly because the class III dealer has one in stock.

Brent

I do not anything about what is a good quality supressor cause I bought mine by the same method. Shooter's Discount, not sure if they are still a sponser here or not had both of my supressors in stock and they are located within 20 mins. I could not tell you a brand name without going out to the shop. I can tell ya I love the darn things, so do my neighbors.

If you have the machine tools or know someone that can "help" you build one for about $100 in materials you can get one built. It might not be the lightest or work for full auto but for a bolt gun you will be $800 ahead of the game. Same $200 tax stamp gets you either.

I went out to do some other stuff. Mine are both made by Liberty. One is a sparrowhawn and one a black raven IIRC.....which I should since I just walked out there.......but then again when I got there I could not remember why I went out.

I am going to be building my next supressor for a .50 whisper......I should have had that done, I got all the gun parts and reamer.

Eddybo, that happens to me alot. I will check out the Liberty line.

As far as having one built, I do know someone who will be able to in maybe a year. Trouble is I don't want to wait that long. The rifle I am having built specifically for it should be done about the time the paper work would be done.

Brent

First make sure they are legal to hunt with in your area!! Second...they act as a muzzle brake and reduce recoil along with the blast from the gun...hunting with most subsonic suck due to low velocity (under 1100 fps depending on conditions), but yes very quite..with normal loads u can still shoot most normal calibers without hearing protection because it removes the gun blast but not the super sonic crack,,, which occurs down range away from you... and in most cases, suppressors will increase velocity....last if u buy a name brand suppressor u wont b disappointed...most all have figured out how to make them quite, now trying to make it small and light...smaller and lighter cost more......oh as far as making one,,I think u need a manufacturing license?

Well it is all over but the waiting now. To what I have been reading and visiting with the ATF, you can build your own without a manufactures license. As long as it is for yourself. And yes I did check into being able to hunt with them they are legal in quite a few states.

Brent

You can build them on a form 1, but have to wait on your tax stamp.

I do not have my tax stamp in hand but do have the gun parts, so the supressor will have to wait put I will probably get around to screwing the .50 whisper together.

I have shot a few does and some pigs shooting sub sonic 208 a maxs and some 220gr SPs. The 208s tumble through the deer, the 220s are supposed to expand but I have never recovered one of the 220s. I have not had a deer run more than a few yards. Most have just stood for a few minutes and fallen over.

I have the 308 Phantom and It works great on a 6.5 x47 lapua , kicks like a 22mag and just alittle louder I shot a doe at 430 yards and my 11 yr old daughter gun)shot her first doe at 320 yds with it too. I also shot a coyote at night and there was absolutely no flash i saw him hit the ground . it was cool ! My next suppressor will be titanium for less weight . I have also put this on a 22-250 , lr-308 dpms ( much lounder than bolt gun ) , and the 6.5 is my favorite so far.

I shoot a Thunderbeast on my 308 and it works very very well. I have a surefire on order for my 223.

Goggle Thunderbeast and see all the info they have on suppressors. I really like the Thunderbeast, as these guys hit alot of long range matches they compete in and win. Give them a look. THUNDER BEAST ARMS CORPORATION (TBAC) I think that's all they do is make suppressors. For longrange rifles, they're hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.