Suppressor yes or no on load work up?

Hotrod617

I've got several guns that the suppressor does not really affect poi with factory Ammo. They consistently shoot 1/2" or better @ 100yds.

Now the reason for my question.

I just purchased a Cooper model 92 Backcountry in 6.5 PRC for an upcoming hunt in Mexico for Muley's. It's my first with a lightweight "pencil" barrel. It does not like my usual go to factory hunting choice the Precision Hornady Hunter with 143 ELD-X..
I'm working up a combo using Lapua brass and Hammer Hunter 124's. After running a ladder to find Max, I loaded up another ladder looking at groupings. Best I can get is 3 shot group at .63". I let the barrel cool to ambient temperature between 3 shot groups. The group card that came with the gun was .34". I'm using H1000 with CCI BR-4 primers. The card stated they used Magnum powder and the HH in 124 as well. I don't have any Magnum, but H1000 is right beside Magnum on the burn scale.

I got to thinking that the only real difference is I'm using my suppressor. I was wondering if y'all experts work up your loads with a suppressor since that's the way it's going to be hunted?

Signed
confused…

Zeroing scope with suppressor on stays the same until I remove suppressor then reattach. It moves poi maybe 1/4" but groups are still tight. Just FYI

Pretty sure you are using LRP BR2 in a 6.5PRC, not SRP BR4.
As for powder, just because one is next to another on a burn rate chart does not mean they behave the same.
For a 143, try some RL23. That is my go-to powder for the 6.5PRC.
I always shoot during load development however I will hunt. With suppressor if suppressor will be used.
Might just need some fine tuning.

You might also try a faster powder such H4831SC or H4831 if you have some.

Any idea what your velocity is compared to that used to shoot the group card?

It's says 2900fps on the card. I have not started my speed data yet. I will start with the next smaller ladder.

Yes your right on the primer.. typo

I was wondering if y'all experts work up your loads with a suppressor since that's the way it's going to be hunted?
Supersonics yes I work up with the can, unless it's something marginal I want to make sure it stabilizes first. I'll run velocity ladders without the can if the bottom end is slow/ potentially unstable.