Summer hunting

Yup it does make me cringe a little but not half as much as what my 22-250 did to them this year. Motivated me enough to buy a new .204 in the exact same model Ruger Hawkeye Predator. I blew up way too much money with that 22-250.

I Coyote Hunt fresh mowed Hay Fields in the early Spring and Summer months,its a sure thing and lots of fun putting down the Predators year round especially when they are looking to kill Young newborn Deer Fawns,Turkeys and other young Wildlife. :D :)

I'm gonna try my best to get after'em here in my neck of the woods! I live in the most southern tip of Ohio between Kentucky and West Virginia. The only trouble is the humidity. It's bad. Normally toward the end of May it turns miserable. I'm gonna make a go for it.

Railroader82, I would be very interested in how your coyote hunting efforts turn out. I hunted coyote in Western Kentucky a couple of years ago in an area where the locals said they hear coyotes all the time. I and my partner saw some sign on the trails around there, but weren't able to get anything to come to the calls. Strangest thing, though, on our morning set a turkey kept answering to the coyote calls. Go figure.

I am not an experienced coyote hunter. I found it frustrating that most of the information I was able to find regarding hunting tactics was oriented to hunting coyotes in more open territory in the west. Trying to hunt them in the eastern woods is a whole different ballgame, IMO.

Interestingly enough, my partner killed two beautiful coyotes within just a few minutes of each other while on stand for deer last year. He took a nice buck in the same spot a few minutes later.

Last edited:
Benchracer, your experience sounds like mine usually turn out. It's really tuff in Appalachia to hunt coyotes! We have all hills and brush. Also the coyotes are big. There's a study that says our coyotes are wolf hybrids! Crazy! Anyway, ill let ya know. In bout to get serious once I brake this bad sinus infection. One of the guys at work found a den of coyote pups which have me a lightbulb idea to open my call sets with coyote pup in distress and my decoy. There are many guys here that kill coyotes in turkey season too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.