Suggestions needed...

roosteroo

I just bought a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM for hunting here in Colorado. I'm debating what to get for optics because the thing is bound to kick like a mule (no I haven't shot it yet). My concerns are relating to the fact that I bought this to be a lite hunter for elk, deer, and prong horn antelope (in order of desire!). I need a scope that wont fall apart with the recoil I'm expecting, be long range enough for all of the above, and be lite enough to not negate the benefit of a 6lbs. rifle. Any suggestions for a cost conscious hunter?

I would recomend you use the optics zone link above and consider eye relief just as much as weight. SWFA lists quite a bit of data on almost all of their scopes. I spent several days researching that sight and here before I bought my leupy.

+1 The Nikon Buckmaster. I forget the eye relief however; you definitely want to stay on the longer side with a lightweight kicker.

ATH,
I've done lots of shooting using 300 RUM LSS and the Weaver grand Slam. The LSS is definately light and from the bench it kicks hard, still my 190 lbs 15 years old shoots it frequently. No problem with eye relief so far.

Weaver Grand Slam ---- eye relief = 3.7" - 3.0"
Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF ---- eye relief = 3.7" - 3.6"

Buckmaster has even more eye relief! Unless the shooter weights less than (?) 125 lbs I would say there is plenty of eye relief in both scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.