Stw barrel length

Tottav

Getting ready to build a stw hunting I'm debating barrel length. Would like to make it 24" or would I be making a mistake. Thanks

I think 26" is ideal. Still portable but makes use of the slow burning powders appropriate for the STW. An STW in a 24" probably isn't much quicker than a 7 mag.

The thing is I'm planning on having a brake on it so overall will be 26 with brake. Anyone know how much fps it would be giving up with the 24".

The thing is I'm planning on having a brake on it so overall will be 26 with brake. Anyone know how much fps it would be giving up with the 24".

My last 7stw pipe was a 24" 10" twist. I am much happier with my 27" 8" twist barrel. The 24" wasn't that slow; it would do 2900+ fps with a 175 and 3200+ fps with my normal 140 grain load... it also topped out a bit over 3400 fps with test loads with rl26, but I wouldn't run it there as I'm sure brass life would be a bit short. That said, even though the 24" barrel has a lot of life left in it, I'm pretty sure I'll never hang it on another receiver.

Do yourself a favor and cut that barrel as long as you can, keep her to one of the heavier contours, and forget the brake. A 7stw with a finished weight at 9# or better doesn't need the brake unless you have a reason to be recoil abhorrent like a blown shoulder.

My STW was a 28 inch heavy contour without a brake. You want a good stock with little or no drop in the comb.

Depending on the bullet weight you might gain 30+ fps for every inch past 24. the beauty is that you can down load longer barrel a be easy on the cases and still have higher velocity.

My new recommended powder to all of you shooting 160's and over is Reloader 26. I just bought 8# jug and will continue testing when the weather gets better

I would recommend a light palma 30" barrel. I have 2 like this . You get used to the extra length and get the extra velocity for the life of the barrel. They shoot the 180 Berger hybrids at 3180 and 3295 fps. No brake needed. Gary

a few people carry them but none are in stock currently. a few people do show a #3 fluted in stock right now.

keep an eye on or give a call to bugholes, dpr outdoors, and butch's reloading.

I have one with a 24" and am currently looking to upgrade. Think im going to finish it out at 28 + the break but not sure yet. If I remember right I was pushing 3200 fps with 81gn h 1000 behind 160 gn nosler partition. My stepdad has a 26, not sure where his speed was but he didnt show the over pressure signs mine did with the same load. I have backed my load off to 78gn. but haven't chronographed it. I have no idea why a shorter barrel would cause over pressure but I have read it and it seems to be the case. Both guns were converted by the same smith at the same time. Im not sure this helps any, but if I had it to do over I think I would have left it a 7 mag because the stw is just not that much better in the 24" length.

I have one with a 24" and am currently looking to upgrade. Think im going to finish it out at 28 + the break but not sure yet. If I remember right I was pushing 3200 fps with 81gn h 1000 behind 160 gn nosler partition. My stepdad has a 26, not sure where his speed was but he didnt show the over pressure signs mine did with the same load. I have backed my load off to 78gn. but haven't chronographed it. I have no idea why a shorter barrel would cause over pressure but I have read it and it seems to be the case. Both guns were converted by the same smith at the same time. Im not sure this helps any, but if I had it to do over I think I would have left it a 7 mag because the stw is just not that much better in the 24" length.

Probably the lower pressure rifle has a longer throat. Load a flat base bullet backwards really long in an empty case. One for each rifle. drop it in the chamber and slowly close the bolt and cam it closed. The with show you the distance to the rifling. Weatherby rifles are made with really long throats and that is why they can put so much powder behind a given round.

I've had my rifles throated an extra .250 and I kind of turned them into single shots when using super long heavy VLD bullets. they won't fit in the mag.

My STW is a Lilja 28 inch 1:9. and another custom rifle I went with shilen

Centerfire Barrels - Lilja

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Good idea and I may try it if my stepdad will dig his out.( I have ordered a new barrel so there is not much point other than to learn from it) I know that I am not hitting the lands but that is all I know.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.