Stubby .308 for hunting

T3ninja

Just thought I'd throw this pic up here. This was a Friday night project for a lightweight deer rifle. I used a .223 with a cheapo plastic stock that I stiffened up for a donor and the bolt out of my other .308. I have a heavy barreled (almost 20lbs) .308 for general shooting and long range, but the 28" barrel sucks up in a tree stand. Not to mention, where I'm hunting 300 yards is a long shot.
So a member on here made me a deal I couldn't refuse. I got the barrel, measured it up and chopped it off with a hacksaw. Then I smoothed out the cut with a file and finished it off nice and smooth (going to hit it again with a finer grit) with sandpaper. Then I used an old Lee case trimmer to cut a recess for the crown. Doing this also made sure that the cut was square to the bore. I finished off the crown by using a Lyman case chamfer tool and polished it up with a brass drew and some case polish. This put the finished naked rifle (no scope/ bipod) just over 5 lbs.

All this might sound like insanity to most, including me. But after putting about 30 rounds through it and ZERO load development for this barrel it is giving me sub MOA out to 200 yds using stuff I've loaded for the other rifle.

Specs
.223 savage model 11 receiver and stock.
Model 10 savage .308 bolt
Model 10 lightweight barrel cut to 16.75"

RenderedContent-4518A03A-0CFC-40D7-8764-2769ABF1B6EA.JPG
RenderedContent-8F93368F-6121-4A33-97AE-BAD26E417B03.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.