string jumping off the sled

slugger61

can someone tell me what to do to fix this problem every time i start to wind back the string jumps off and catches on the dry fire if i load a bolt on first i get a couple of winds the bolt shoots this is starting to scare me i have checked the sled and the cocking string cleaned everything have no idea can someone help

I would try pulling the draw string to the left while you are cranking. This will cause the draw string to wind on the spool evenly and not bunch up.
Paul

thanks for the reply i have tried doing that it only takes about a wined before it jumps off so you have to be careful will try doing that again cheers

tried winding to the left to evenly spool but the same thing keeps happening it fires and catches on the dry fire only after about one wined it gets a bit dangerous sticking fingers on strings not knowing wether it going to fire someone out there must know whats happening cause i dont nearly ready to give up

Hey Slugger. I remembered seeing a video about this a while back so I did a quick check and found it. Is this what you're experiencing?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UMap6R-R7U]PSE TAC-15i arrow popping off the string while drawing the bow back - YouTube[/ame]

If so, it seems the drawstring may be wound the wrong direction around the drum. Hopefully this is it. Best of luck - don't give up with it :)

thanks for the reply my problem is similar but only difference is it fires and the string gets caught on the anti dry fire i think the dloop capture must be warn and when it gets to much pressure on it ,it fires i think i will replace the slide and see what happens was hopping it was going to be something simple just i can get another one bow is only 3 months old cheers

I'm not sure if this will help, but on a 3 month old tac I don't think the parts are worn out.

When deploying the cocking block pull it out just far enough to hook the knocking loop. The cocking string is meant to wind around the spool in a certain direction. If you pull it out too far you could cause the string to wrap in the wrong direction, causing it to pile up onto one side of the spool and then drop off, causing a loud popping sound and possibly having the arrow pop off during the cocking procedure. (For more info see the "Trouble Shooting" section at the end of the PSE written instructions)

Slugger 61

Sorry I missed this thread back in December.

I am in agreement with the guys that the "jump" is due to not having the cocking rope start spooling to the left, in which case you should pull it all the way out and start cocking while pulling the cocking block and rope way over to the left. Then when you pull the cocking block down to hook it to your string in the future, you want to be sure you don't pull it out any farther than needed to hook it up. If you pull it too far, it will unspool all the way and may not start winding to the left as you want.

Sometimes the cocking rope is installed a bit to short so that when you pull it out just far enough to hook it up, it actually is unspooled all the way and you're back to square one. If this is the case, the cocking rope should be replaced and installed slightly longer so that when you pull the cocking block out just far enough to hook it up, there is a wrap remaining on the spool. This will ensure that it always starts spooling to the left.

With all that said, when the cocking block jumps because it's spooled the wrong way, the firing mechanism should NOT fire. Obviously that is dangerous. I would strongly suggest that you have the cocking block serviced or replaced by a dealer or PSE. The only way it should fire is when the firing mechanism on the underside of the cocking block is struck by the hammer.

If you need more info feel free to give me a call.

Andy
920-376-2010

Hello Slugger61.

I know this is an old post but I hope you see my reply. I came here looking for an answer to the same problem you described. I had it happen yesterday 11/11/2014. It's not the draw string thing, I've experienced that. Mine actually fires before full draw. Not just bumping the arrow off, it releases the string. It happened 3 times in a row, the first one was at about half draw and the next 2 right before the sled drops into the notch at full draw. It was actually firing the arrow into the ground. I stopped after that realizing it wasn't just some error on my part. Nothing looks damaged but I haven't been able to thoroughly inspect it yet. I've put about 500 shots thru mine and had a dry fire yesterday about 30 shots before this happened. The dry fire safety worked as it's suppose to but my D loop looked a bit stretched but not damaged. I plan to inspect it closer tonight. If you got the answer to your problem, please share, I'm anxious to get mine back up and running.

Bobby
Dunn, NC

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.