Stocky’s VG2 Aggre-grip panels

Laguna Freak

I thought I'd share this elegant solution for those of you who might want to implement it.

I bought a flat top Stocky's VG2 for my 300 WSM custom build on CRF Model 70 LA. I went the Stocky's route because McMillan would not allow me to change any colors in their standard paint offerings and refused to cut a primed only Game Warden to accomodate my LOP. Plus the Stocky's CF flat top with composite Accublock is approx. 1/2 the price of the glass McM and at least 1/2 lb lighter than McM's glass. My VG2, inlet, glass & pillar bedded by Evelio McDonald is 1.45 lbs with the Aggre-grip panels installed and a bit of Devcon Steel putty molded at the tang to make the Rem stock contour perfectly fit the Win tang.

The only VG2 negative commentary I could ever find anyone talking about was that the pistol grip and forearm tend to get a bit slippery when wet.

My solution is to mask off the panels, carefully abraid each panel with 150 grit paper, wipe with micro fiber cloth, clean each panel with acetone, fill depth of masking tape with Devcon Home 30 minute 2 ton epoxy, and drop in 2 screened grades of washed, crushed quartz sand. Note, that my experimentation reveals the sand must be crushed. The angularity of crushed particles is required to assure an excellent bond in the epoxy as well as an excellent friction surface in the grip zones. River sand particles are simply too rounded to be effective.

30 minutes after mixing the epoxy, I "roll-pressed" the particles further into the semi-soft epoxy with the back of a plastic spoon. 1 hr after mixing the epoxy, I traced out the edge of each panel with a sharp Exacto-knife and immediately peeled the masking off at an acute angle to aid in prevention of lifting the epoxy. The end result is perfection, IMO.

Note that I added a little more of the coarser grade quartz on the right side because I'm right handed. The grip feel is 2nd to none that I have experienced in 45 years of shooting.

4D759144-4412-40DB-8BCD-444FAF10CEA4.jpeg
896F4396-036E-464C-B6EC-71BBBC9B4368.jpeg
2415C0F1-2A12-43D1-8F03-E47B965CB7CE.jpeg
10111EF3-40E8-4B3F-9182-2DCA47AC18DE.jpeg
29FADC73-E595-4F56-A7C9-5E47042E356E.jpeg
DC9774CD-9307-407A-9E09-80251FFAA368.jpeg

Here's a sneak peek of the finished product. It looks glossy in this light but its a matte finish clear coat on the stock. The clear coat really makes the carbon fiber pop. In my stock prep, I sanded off all of the factory clear coat so primer and paint would have good adhesion.
IMG_1029.jpeg
IMG_1030.jpeg

Here's a sneak peek of the finished product. It looks glossy in this light but its a matte finish clear coat on the stock. The clear coat really makes the carbon fiber pop. In my stock prep, I sanded off all of the factory clear coat so primer and paint would have good adhesion. View attachment 458562View attachment 458563
That is a great looking Custom stock! You will always enjoy something with sweat equity in it. Pillars and bedding will give you the best stock for accuracy too.

I thought I'd share this elegant solution for those of you who might want to implement it.

I bought a flat top Stocky's VG2 for my 300 WSM custom build on CRF Model 70 LA. I went the Stocky's route because McMillan would not allow me to change any colors in their standard paint offerings and refused to cut a primed only Game Warden to accomodate my LOP. Plus the Stocky's CF flat top with composite Accublock is approx. 1/2 the price of the glass McM and at least 1/2 lb lighter than McM's glass. My VG2, inlet, glass & pillar bedded by Evelio McDonald is 1.45 lbs with the Aggre-grip panels installed and a bit of Devcon Steel putty molded at the tang to make the Rem stock contour perfectly fit the Win tang.

The only VG2 negative commentary I could ever find anyone talking about was that the pistol grip and forearm tend to get a bit slippery when wet.

My solution is to mask off the panels, carefully abraid each panel with 150 grit paper, wipe with micro fiber cloth, clean each panel with acetone, fill depth of masking tape with Devcon Home 30 minute 2 ton epoxy, and drop in 2 screened grades of washed, crushed quartz sand. Note, that my experimentation reveals the sand must be crushed. The angularity of crushed particles is required to assure an excellent bond in the epoxy as well as an excellent friction surface in the grip zones. River sand particles are simply too rounded to be effective.

30 minutes after mixing the epoxy, I "roll-pressed" the particles further into the semi-soft epoxy with the back of a plastic spoon. 1 hr after mixing the epoxy, I traced out the edge of each panel with a sharp Exacto-knife and immediately peeled the masking off at an acute angle to aid in prevention of lifting the epoxy. The end result is perfection, IMO.

Note that I added a little more of the coarser grade quartz on the right side because I'm right handed. The grip feel is 2nd to none that I have experienced in 45 years of shooting.

View attachment 453294View attachment 453295View attachment 453296View attachment 453297View attachment 453298View attachment 453299
looks nice as well! thanks for the info!