Stock suggestions

midmo

I am looking at replacing my factory stock on rem 700. I am on a tight budget but I don't want to waste my money either. I have been looking at bell and Carlson stocks but I recently browsed Boyd's laminate stocks as well. Would it be a bad choice to go with a Boyd's? I know the Boyd's do not come with a bedding block like the b&c but it will still be more rigid than the plastic factory stock. I could always add a bedding block down the road. Any experience with either brand? I am leaning towards the Boyd's because of price but I like the synthetic stocks a lot. I am not too worried about weight.

I have two Boyds stocks, one on a Weatherby Vanguard another on a Savage 110. They are a great value if you like to tinker with guns. By this I mean pillar and bed the action. I have gotten equal or better accuracy out of both rifles after pillar and bedding the actions. If you don't like to tinker, get a stock already pillared or a bedding block.

over the past 7 or 8 years i've used many different brand/style/type stocks, expensive to moderate cost.
and for what it's worth, the last 6 rifles i've built all have B&C stocks, (I like the M40 style) as will the next ones.

over the past 7 or 8 years i've used many different brand/style/type stocks, expensive to moderate cost.
and for what it's worth, the last 6 rifles i've built all have B&C stocks, (I like the M40 style) as will the next ones.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a boyds I've got two of them and one shoots so good I never bothered to bed it. It's not a 1000 yards gun but works great for the 270 it's on.

Mid, for a guy on a tight budget the Boyd's are a great upgrade over the factory Tupperware. The Pro Varmint model is my favorite along with the optional color choice and Limbsaver upgrades $168. I've bedded about a dozen Boyd's for friends and they were all a great improvement over the factory Tupperware. I've never seen a stock that didn't need some bedding. Good luck

Being primarily a hunter, my favorite stock is the Greybull. I believe it is made by B&C for them and to their design. It performs well as an all-around stock and is fairly priced in my opinion.

And as Dosh said, I think a good bedding job is beneficial on every stock.

I put a SA 700 in a pro varminter stock that came with the black finish. Only $128 shipped IIRC.

The rifle is a 30 BR. I never bedded it, just completely floated the heavy barrel and made sure there was no binding issue with mag box etc. Torqued rear to 35 in/lb and front to 40 in/lb. It consistently shoots in the .400s .

Personally, I would go for the BC stocks. There are a ton of them for sale on the forum from as low as $180 to as high as $250. Brand new from stocky's shipped will run you about $285. I have purchased several BCs for $200 on the forum.

You did not state the caliber of the rifle. I junked the Tuperware stock on my Rem 700 SS 338 WM. It flexed and gave the rifle a running lick at my shoulder. I too would consider the Boyd stock, If weight is not considered. A laminated stock is stable. You may have to pillar bed, or use a metal filled bedding bedding compound to get the best results. You will still be ahead of the Tuperware stock. Good Luck and Happy Shooting.

I would not hesitate to use the Boyds, as many have suggested. I have a thumbhole sporter on my 7SS which will shoot .2-.3's. It has been pillar bedded and the workmanship on the stock for $99 is amazing! Another great value is the stockeys long range hunter which comes with v-blocks installed. It shoots equally well on my 280 Sherman and sells for $200.........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.