Stock Q for a 70's Rem 700

Drury

Stock Q for a 70\'s Rem 700

I have a Rem 700 ADL 30-06 from the late 70's with less than 200 rounds through it. I've had some trigger work done and am happy with it's performance. It's in great condition and accurate. However it has the original wood stock. I am considering replacing the stock with a synthetic with hopes of improving accuracy at longer distances and durability in the field. I've been considering the H&S sporter and the Remington Synthetic PN# 18581.
Am I on the right path or is there something else I should consider?
TIA

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited by: Drury ]

Re: Stock Q for a 70\'s Rem 700

DO NOT buy the Remingon Synthetic. They are trash. I have given several away to get them out of my shop. The factory wood unit is far superior to the factory synthetic. The factory synthetic isn't called "Tupperware" for no reason.
The HS stocks are better than the factory stuff, but not much. They are trading fodder at best. The McMillan is the best thing out there and the internet specials put them in the same price range as the HS stocks.
Get the McMillan and you won't be sorry.

My HS Precisions are bedded at the tang,..around the action, under the action, and the recoil lug recess is trued up on the mill then bedded (only where necessary) and I see no difference in their groups and my mcmillans. That is just my experience,..your mileage may vary.

I have been looking for a good reason to trade away all my HS stocks and go with the mcmillans,..but so far havn't found the justification.

From what I gather, I'll have some bedding work to do with either the h-s or the McMillan. Correct?

If you want the best consistency, bedding is a must with any stock, except maybe the AICS.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.