Rem 700 newbie questions.....

Drury

Hi There!
Been lurking for a while but need to get started on building a good 700.
I have a predator problem and need to be able to make shots up to 400 yards on coyotes and bobcats. I'd like to also use it on deer if it will carry enough energy out to 3-400yds.
The Rem 700 I'd like to use is a .243 built in the 70's with only 40 rounds through it.
I've been reading up on having the 700 accurized, replacing the barrel, changing the .243 to a 7-08, stocks and so on.....
I'm a little unsure of where I should start or what's necessary to reach my goal.
I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction on what I should or should not do to accomplish my goal.

Been there done that. I was in your shoes a few months back.

This man set me straight! Drop him a line. If you do some snooping around here, you will find the man builds a great rifle any way you like it!

HIs name is Chris Matthews
[email protected]

Joe

I too would advise to speak with Chris...

as far as caliber... 260 Rem. more umph than a 243 but a better bullet selection than the 7mm...when you consider everything from varmints to deer...

use the 243 for a year on the deer,dogs and cats.learn what you're doing.if you're just starting out, you shouldn't be shooting at deer 3-400 yds away.change the gun this winter/spring if you want.

I should be more clear. I've been hunting/shooting for 21 years and have taken deer up to 250 yards with my 30-06. I been shooting long enough to know that the weakest link in the equation is the shooter. I just want to make sure before I start shooting at targets at 250+, that the rifle does it's part.

I would have to agree with Ric about the 260. I have 2 of them and they are my two favorite rifle to pull out. I have had tremendous luck with 120 NBT's in both rifles. It is very easy to load for, I have used several different powders and have great luck with most of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Given any thought to rebarreling to 6.5-284? Excellent for your intended yardage and more.Inherently accurate and good barrel life for hunting purposes

[/ QUOTE ]

He will probably want to keep the short action, and use the magizine for hunting purposes.
The 260 would be a great choice as well
jm2cw

What do you guys think about Drury just opening his .243 to a .243 AI then lapping the bore and getting some good optics if he dosen't already have them?

That is a great alternative but honestly, loading a 243 with 95 to 107gr bullets is plenty for broadside boiler room shots out to 400yds.

Then he still has a huge selection of varmint bullets for closer work.

Personally, I would load the 105gr Amax and just shoot everything with that.

Jerry

the 105's or 107's would be good but i dought if his gun would stabilize them.most production 243's are a 10 twist.i agree,get something that works well out of your gun in the 95-100 range and shoot everything.sorry, i thought you were a newbie to the sport.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.