Stock options, Rem 700 CDL SF

Lonehill

Hey, this is my first post on here. I just purchased a Rem 700 CDL SF in 257 Wby. It has a pretty decent walnut stock, but i don't want to scratch it up. Wanting to replace with a quality synthetic for hunting nasty weather. My question is this, is the CDL the same barrel contour as BDL/ADL offerings from Bell and Carlson or H-S? I do have a factory Rem Sendero stock, the old style H-S Precision without the palm swells. Tried the barreled action in it but the fit is pretty poor around the action, thinking mostly due to the X-Mark trigger hitting the side of alum stock inlet and canting left side of tang upward. I'm not talking about the barrel channel which is obviosly way oversized for the CDL barrel vs 7 mag Sendero. Considering ditching trigger anyway (total turd even with adj screw completely removed, what a joke). Second question, is it at all advisable to free-float CDL barrel? Factory stock has pressure points applying upward pressure on barrel. Final question, did Rem use thinner recoil lug on CDL because i'm getting nearly 3/16" play fore/aft in stock? Thanks

Watched a ton of youtube vids on bedding H-S stocks. I'm thinking this is the way to go. Which bedding compound is the most preferred/easiest for a first attempt? Leaning toward accraglass or steelbed. I know some guys use devcon but the alum version costs twice as much as the steel which I've heard can rust. My barrel channel is too big, might consider bedding full length floating from recoil lug forward by spacing with a layer a bedding tape. I'd like a black color similar to the stock. Any suggestions?

i have a bell and carson and love it on my 700. i use accraglass at home and at the gun shop. just make sure you take your time with the release agent and cover everywhere you think you might drip it or get run off. the accaglass kit comes with black die to add to it. i also do the tape on the barrels so that you get as tight as you can as long as you can run a dollar bill between the barrel and stock. make sure that you check your stock for it torque specs so that when you do it you can put it to the right inch pounds the stock requires. to do that you can use what is called a fat wrench and brownells has them if u dont. anymore question you can pm me or email me at [email protected] thats my everyday email!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts