Stock action vs blueprinted vs custom ?

I've even had super results from having a "stock" barrel set into a blueprinted and pillar bedded action. it just makes sense. Could you "get by" w/o it? why sure, but it is a gamble. When you think of "accuracy", think 'everything on the same plane, tension and repeatability". If a rifle will not shoot after this treatment, it is either a bad barrel or bad loads or bad technique.

This is what ACCURACY is.
It's not grouping. It's not the group pictured earlier(which was not very accurate).
It's carrying a gun into the field in hunting trim, and hitting a mark with one shot.
Or, hitting that 200yd dot -with one shot.
Try it folks. No matter how well it groups, test it's actual accuracy.

Mike, I think you are referring to my group since it's the only one in the thread. While the group isn't placed on the red dot, I can assure you that my "trued" Rem 700 is consistently both accurate and precise. Is this better? ☺️
Art

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 81
I've even had super results from having a "stock" barrel set into a blueprinted and pillar bedded action. it just makes sense. Could you "get by" w/o it? why sure, but it is a gamble. When you think of "accuracy", think 'everything on the same plane, tension and repeatability". If a rifle will not shoot after this treatment, it is either a bad barrel or bad loads or bad technique.

Same here. All of my current semi-customs have factory barrels on them. All the heavy barreled rifles shoot 1/2" or less, and the 1 sporter barreled rifle shoots 1/2-3/4 MOA. So, no complaints from me about re-using factory barrels that have been worked-over (re-cut chamber for straightness, cleanup the lug shoulder, hand-lap the bore, cut a recessed target crown), and put it on a blueprinted action and fully bedded and floated into a good stock.

It's amazing how well today's barrels are compared to 40 yrs ago, and the above treatment really brings that out! I have even had "take off" barrels shoot way under sub MOA doing this. I can remember back in the early 70's when Ruger's Model 77 barrels were "outsourced" at $17 a barrel! ha Talk about a "gamble"!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.