Still cant pick a caliber!

DanielLudwig

I have been pondering over what caliber to build my rifle in for about a freakin year now, and im still not really set, so im gonna put it to you guys for advice. Here is the criteria:
MUST work on a magnum 700 bolt(face may be opened)
MUST work in magazine(700BDL long magnum action) with high BC bullets(Berger VLD, Wildcat ULD)loaded to the lands
MUST be manageable in a 10lb rifle(w/brake)
MUST be capable of delivering 900-1200ft.lbs. of energy at 1k yds with VLD or ULD bullet
I know im asking for alot, but if i cant build a rifle to do these things then i dont need another one.
Thanks in advance to everyone for the advice.
later
Dan

I second what Harv said and also nominate the 7mm AM, but there might be a few problems that you would need to decide on.

If you do a search you will see that Kirby has built this round on the Rem 700 action and it works nicely.

Manageable in a 10# rifle......... Don't see why not and especially with a Holland QD brake I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one in a 10# gun all day. Mine weighs a little more than that but I've had a 100# woman shoot mine and she liked it better than her 243.

The criteria that it work in a magazine can be accomplished, it just depends on how you want to seat the bullet and how you have it throated. The picture of Kirby's below shows the round with the 160 grain Accubond and also with the 200 grain Wildcat ULD RBBT's. The gun I had built is throated for the 200's to be seated way out to take advantage of the case capacity. I will also develop a load that is shorter to be used with the magazine, however the primary useage of the gun is as a single shot.

335781.jpg

The energy level you want may be a problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, as that is about the energy for the AM at 2000 yards, not 1000 yards./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you can live with that then the round might work for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

There are a lot of other rounds that would meet your criteria but you asked for opinions so this is just mine. I'm sure you'll get a lot of others and in the end you will still be stuck with making the decision. If your stated energy level is all you require then you can get by with a lot less gun, but you'd be missing our on a lot of long range fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are more adventuresome, the 277AM may tickle your fancy or 7AM will make you pee on your fancy.

Its up to you I guess! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a Rem 700 LSS in a 300 RUM. I do not have a brake on it, but my next one will. Thats not a bad thing, just want to spot my own shots from now on. My rifle loaded, with bi-pod weight around 9lbs. It has the trigger worked on, been bedded and floated. It shoots great out to 800 yards, and on good days out to 1000. I have shot the 220g SMK at 3000fps. This will give you somewhere around 1350lbs, 1650fps at 1000 yards. Clearly over your demand in a factory chambering. With the 210g VLD at 3050fps, it will give you 1400lbs, 1750fps. I loaded mine way out for single shot use, so I cannot comment on them fitting in the magazine. Well not way out, something like 3.8", but the magazine length is usually 3.660". They might still be accurate at 3.660" never know. How about putting a 28" with a brake, then you will have a little better ballistics, and be able to spot your own shots, and keep your rifle under 10lbs.

ok, here are some further questions...mostly about weight
i want to use a standard Lilja barrel, so finished length will be 27", so my question is what taper would i need to use with a 700 BDL magnum action, McMillan General Purpose stock, and Holland QD brake to keep bare rifle weight under 10#?
both the .300 Ultra and 7mm AM are very interesting choices.
Just to explain i am basing the rifle design on Clay Spencer's Professional Hunter rifles.
also any other ideas on chamberings are welcome, as well as any comments anyone has about my overall idea.
thanks
Dan

OK...here's a ONE STOP SHOP deal!

.338 RUM! 10# rifle with a good brake...and you're HOME FREE!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DANIEL, you can make a nice weight estimation if you go to Lilja´s web page and enter his barrel contour program. Assuming 5 lbs for the stock, action and brake, a fluted nº 7 contour 27 " should weigh in at around 4,5 lbs, so you´d be around those 10 lbs total weight ( no mounts , rings, bipods included).

7mm rem mag shooting 168vld @3050fps is nice, less recoil vs amount of energy gained at 1000 yards. Still over 1000lb of energy at sea level, it increases as you move up towards thinner air (higher altitude).

I will throw in a couple suggestions

1. if you have to open the bolt face, don't bother. Sell that bolt for $100 or more and buy a Pacific Tool and Guage, Dave Kiff bolt already to go and you can buy it oversized to fit your action exactly and even fluted. Better fit, smoother, better extractor etc. That is no brainer money and quality wise.

2. 300 WSM would be my choice of calibers. you can load the WSM long due to your long action. 30 cal has the widest choice of bullets from the new 210 JLK LB BT that are .680 BC, available right here in the US from full time guy, to the 168 Barnes TTSX etc. Guys are shooting the WSM to one mile in tactical comps.

3. WSM barrel life is 2-4 times anything else mentioned and you will want to practice I assume. My first WSM barrel had 2300 rds thru it, IBS shooter of the year just won with 4000 rds in his WSM. I have seen and had problems building guns for one bullet and when it does not work or is no longer available you are SOL. We have had posts right here on that.

4. WSM no expensive custom dies ($300-500) for wildcat. However, you can buy a Redding body bump die ($25) send it to Jim Carstenson at JLC Precision and he will make a custom honed FL size die with neck bushings for $80. Two week turnaround. Go to www.6mmbr.com and look him up under the Tools link. Buy a Forester micro seater ($65) and you are ready to go.

5. Whatever caliber you use, go to Dave Kiff and get your own reamer ordered. $150 and you have it to rechamber everytime and no differences in chamber dimensions.

If this is a hunting rifle you forgot to ask the single most important fact. What will you be hunting with it? You see animals don't read ballistic charts so all that is just hogwash untill you see various animals reactions to being hit all kinda ways with different rifles. There is a lot more to it than just reading ballistic charts.

I would imagine he made up his mind about 4 years ago or shortly there after since the thread started in 2005. Or, maybe, he just really indecisive:D.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.