sticky powder

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dmax1800, Nov 27, 2013.

1. dmax1800

dmax1800 Well-Known Member

I had to pull bullets from about 30 rounds because I found out that they had too much bullet runout (I just got a concentricity gauge). When I went to dump the powder on a lot, but not all, of them, the powder would not easily pour out. I had to tap the case on the side of the powder bottle to get it all out. They were loaded in September and have not been in a humid room since then. They also were not compressed loads.

Why would the powder stick together and not dump out easily???

Just curious.

2. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Were the loads compressed at all, even slightly? I've seen that a lot in loads that I had that were slightly compressed or more.

Don't know if that was your case or not but I've seen it myself in the instance above.

Nathan

3. nddodd

nddodd Well-Known Member

Duh, sorry didn't read all your post

4. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

I took some apart that was loaded with H1000 . I had to dig the powder out of these with a small pocket screwdriver . I've never seen powder stuck in a case this bad . I don't know why .

5. wc872

wc872 Well-Known Member

I have a new barrel chambered in .284. It did not like the load (RL 22 & 180 JLK's) that the old barrel liked. I have a 1000 yard Match on Saturday so I thought I would just pull the bullets & re load the brass. Upon pulling the 180 JLK's I found that the charge of slightly compressed RL22 was stuck together. A few grains of powder would dump out but the rest has to be coaxed out with a scribe, twirl a Q-tip around & then visually inspect the case interior. Tapping the case mouth on the counter top did not dislodge powder kernels that were stuck to the side of the case. While I have never had this problem before I really don't remember whether I looked into the case interior with a flashlight before. Live & learn.