sticky powder

dmax1800

I had to pull bullets from about 30 rounds because I found out that they had too much bullet runout (I just got a concentricity gauge). When I went to dump the powder on a lot, but not all, of them, the powder would not easily pour out. I had to tap the case on the side of the powder bottle to get it all out. They were loaded in September and have not been in a humid room since then. They also were not compressed loads.

Why would the powder stick together and not dump out easily???

Just curious.

Were the loads compressed at all, even slightly? I've seen that a lot in loads that I had that were slightly compressed or more.

Don't know if that was your case or not but I've seen it myself in the instance above.

Nathan

Were the loads compressed at all, even slightly? I've seen that a lot in loads that I had that were slightly compressed or more.

Don't know if that was your case or not but I've seen it myself in the instance above.

Nathan

Duh, sorry didn't read all your post

I took some apart that was loaded with H1000 . I had to dig the powder out of these with a small pocket screwdriver . I've never seen powder stuck in a case this bad . I don't know why .

I have a new barrel chambered in .284. It did not like the load (RL 22 & 180 JLK's) that the old barrel liked. I have a 1000 yard Match on Saturday so I thought I would just pull the bullets & re load the brass. Upon pulling the 180 JLK's I found that the charge of slightly compressed RL22 was stuck together. A few grains of powder would dump out but the rest has to be coaxed out with a scribe, twirl a Q-tip around & then visually inspect the case interior. Tapping the case mouth on the counter top did not dislodge powder kernels that were stuck to the side of the case. While I have never had this problem before I really don't remember whether I looked into the case interior with a flashlight before. Live & learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.