Sticky Bolt & Head Space

RustyRick

I've put this problem on the form before but have new information.

I have a 6.5 Rem Mag in a Rem 660 carbine. We bought it close to 45 yrs ago and it has always had a sticky bolt with RELOADS.

Factory loads eject OK. But ALL hand loads loaded at the low end of the books result in tight back pull on bolt handle. Bolt lift is OK.

So I bought a Hornady Head Space Gage set and the results are as follows.

I started loading below suggested book recommendations, for 2 reasons.
1) tight ejection &
2) poor grouping of many test bullet weights and powder types. Best is 2 " groups at 100 yrds. using a good scope and sand bags. GRR

So the following chart shows the result of my measurements.

Factory Live 1.821
Once fired factory 1.844
FL Resized 1.840
Fire Formed lite loads 1.839
Fired lite book loads 1.847

Any suggestions? Maybe it's time for the mantle.

I doubt it is headspace. It's likely a bit of burr or ridge where the belt goes to body diameter in the chamber or a slightly out of time extraction cam. What does your brass look like?? Are there marks on it to denote rough chamber??

The cases all have a tiny scratch just at the shoulder going length-wise .1539" long. That's all.

The cases that are book loads have chamber marks just above where the web would end that indicate a slide in the chamber. Only the book loads have that mark.

Well, if it isn't beating and marking the brass to hell then it is likely simply the slightly larger diameter of the twice fired brass causing an issue. I'd guess a rather tight chamber and the lower rebound from the brass on second firing is not letting it free enough for easy extraction. SB dies or having a 'smith look at your chamber to correct any issues (like lesser taper than necessary or a minor burr) are likely fixes.

Has this happened to you with new brass used for reloading, or is it only an issue with brass you are recycling from factories??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.