Stevens 200 in .338??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by PaulB., Apr 6, 2009.

1. PaulB.

PaulB. Member

I was talking to a friend and he said that the stevens 200 will not take the abuse from a round like the .338 edge or lapua. Is this correct? Was wondering b/c I might be building a rifle here soon and was looking at some actions.

2. geargrinder

geargrinder Well-Known Member

It will very easily take a 338 edge. The only problem with the Lapua is the different case head.

For and Edge, if you are starting with a Stevens with a mag bolt face it is as simple as a barrel swap. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to swap the barrels.

Shilen is one of the barrel makers that offer pre-fit Savage/Stevens barrels in 338 Edge. $313(shipped) for a 30" Select Match Stainless Varmint taper.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009

3. mopar440

mopar440 Well-Known Member

where do your order a shilen barrel from straight from shilen or from some where else

4. geargrinder

Somewhere else,

I ordered my Shilen from Jim Briggs of Northland Shooter Supply. He is a member here, and is very active on Savageshooters.com. Great guy to deal with.

Another place is Accuracyarms.com.

They are both the same price. I chose Jim because of his involvement at Savageshooters. He also is a Savage dealer and can get you all parts up to complete rifles for a very reasonable price.

You can order straight from Shilen, but they charge about $100 more.

5. adam330

adam330 Well-Known Member

What would the best caliber be to start with so that i have as few mods as possible to convert a stevens 200 to a 338 edge?? Thanks

6. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

Something with a mag. bolt head....300 Win mag or 7mm Rem mag

Chris

7. geargrinder

Exactly.