Steiner 4-16x50 34mm scope

Damascus

I've always wanted to try a Steiner scope, but never have gotten to handle one.. While on EuroOptics site looking for a $1500 optic for my new build, I noticed the 4-16x50 model on sale for $1400, everyone else has them for $2300... There's my chance :) It is a first focal plane scope, with a 34mm tube, and illuminated Gen2 mil dot (looks a heckuva lot like Leopold's TMR), 1/10th mil turrets with zero stop and 2nd turn popup indicator. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas!
Has anyone used one of these? I've heard they rival U.S.Optics and S&B for glass quality. As of now, the best scopes I own are a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 and Leupold Mk4 LR/T 6.5-20x50... this will be my first FFP scope. Should I see a noticeable upgrade?
Next, I started looking for rings. I have Leupold Mk4 low 30mm rings on my other scopes, using 20 MOA Nightforce bases, and the height is perfect.. Unfortunately, the only Mk4 rings I found in 34mm were high and x-high, so I ordered high. I wanted to try the 6 screw NF rings, even though they are aluminum (I try to stick with steel), but they were sold out. Same for the Badgers.
Anyone else have any tips for 34mm mounting? (only 34 I've ever had was a IOR 2-12x36 Spartan, which came with its own x-high rings).
Tomorrow, after some range time, I'll do a full review on both the optic and rings/base. By the way, testing will be done on my new flagship company rifle, a custom accurized SS 700 short action, Jewell trigger @ 1.4#, Shilen SS #7 26" .308 match barrel (1/10" Tw), PTG SS tapered .200" lug, Accuracy International AICS 1.5 stock (new version with deeper hook and no metal bolt handle insert), Nightforce 20 MOA steel base, Leupold Mark 4 34mm steel rings, and Steiner scope. I am hoping for a sub half-MOA performance gun)

You said the Steiner is going to be your first FFP scope? Aren't the NXS and MK4 that you own both FFP?
How did the range trip work out?

Nope, my Nightforce and Mark 4 are both SFP scopes.

Been waiting for a free moment to update this - bottom line on the Steiner, I'm thoroughly impressed! The glass is some of the best I've ever looked through, with an exceptional ability to maintain image contrast in direct sunlight - where my other scopes start to noticably haze a bit.. and the resolution is on a whole new level compared to my other scopes.
The 34mm tube compared with the NF 20 MOA base is keeping me at a 200 yard zero, cannot go to 100 like I normally do.. The Steiner's turret (1/10 mil) only turns 2 full revolutions (10 mils per revolution), and all the way on bottom on zero puts me dead on at 200.
The ONLY thing that I cannot say is outstanding about this scope is perhaps the sound of the clicks. Turning the dials make a different sound each direction, even though the seem to feel the same. Worried about this, I tried a little tracking test, with a 5 point target (a center bulls eye with 4 corner markers 6" out) and the scope tracked perfectly and hit all targets and returned to zero just fine.
This scope is also quite large (to be expected of a 34mm), and fits my rifle perfectly using Leupold Mark 4 34mm high rings, with about 3/16" of clearance to barrel, which is more than enough clearance for the included Butler Creek flip caps.
The reticle, the Gen 2 mil-dot, works just fine, and even at 16x, isn't too thick for long range shooting. At 4x, it's hard to see the hash marks and dots, with or without illumination, however this probably doesn't matter - just an observation.. If the reticle were noticable, it would be too thick for small targets at long range. The reticle is basically a standard mil dot with .25 mil dots spaced 1 mil apart, with hash marks (lines, .5 mil long) in between, marking half mils. I would've preferred having nothing but mil lines and no dots, but this is fine, and is still leaps better than the standard mil dot I took to the box'.
All in all, I am extremely satisfied with this scope, however it is quite overkill on this .308, and has the capability to reach out much much farther than this .308 has the capability to shoot... this scope would be right at home on a .338 Lapua (the wheels are already turning...lightbulb....gun))
Heres a pic of the new build...
G2_AICS_zps9d9809e4.jpg

I see that EO has Swarovski has their Z5 for sale for roughly the same price.....Given the two options would you advise to go with the Steiner still? Thanks.

jrg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.