Steel plate sizes

Mcarso1

What size plates at what ranges? Gonna setup 200 yard out to 900yd maybe push 1000 if I clear some trees on the farm? Wondering what you guys use ? Thanks

What size plates at what ranges? Gonna setup 200 yard out to 900yd maybe push 1000 if I clear some trees on the farm? Wondering what you guys use ? Thanks
as big as you can. way easyer to hit then. 10 sqware meter plate would be rather easy imo. dont go setting up small plates and make your self stressed by missing your shots mate. just go set up huge targets and have no worries shootin them :)

Jut paint different size boxes or circles on them as you get farther out
see. just like this fella said. just make the target bigger the further you are. should be easy peasy then.

joke aside = you should be aiming to stay in a 1 minute of angle circle at every distance, or the smallest groop your rifle can shoot. You know how MOA works as range increeses right ? so set up your bulls eye acordingly. 1MOA bulls at every distance should be sweet.

Last edited:
1.5 moa plate is nice past 500 yards, just big enough for off days. At 500 and closer, misses can be harder to interpret, and 1.5 and 1 moa can really be an ammo wasters.
I personally like a KYL setup at all ranges, pick your poison, if not attainable, shoot a bigger one to get your bearing. It boils down to, we are all good in no wind.

I try to use 66% ipsc for as far as I can go. That's about a human torso sideways.

I try, as in because depending on my ES with certain ammo, it's not always feasible at longer ranges. In which case I try to use 100% ipsc.
Forn ELR, I use a big square (36x36) of non treated steel when conducting data.

For me I go with the vital zone of the animal I want to hunt. Then you know when you should be shooting at an animal if you can hit it every time. Antelope-8" Deer-10" Elk 12-15"

If you are just wanting to hit targets get a 12 and you will be good to 1000 yards.

Besides size of plate(s) I think having a good backing that shows a missed impact at your longer ranges is important . The left pic below shows part of video clip at 1100yds at unside down u shaped rocks. The pic on right shows initial impact and then split second later you get a live wind report !

1581031766547.png
1581031832415.png

1581031766547.png1581031832415.png

I bought a 20x20" for 1000 yds plus. Seems big but I always seem to be with newer long distance shooters. It's nice to see the hit and help them adjust to center.

An example was last year when my youngest came out to shoot. He has talent but doesn't shoot enough. There are permanent 20" targets at 500, 800, and 1140 yds where we go. I had him go prone with my gun at 500 and his first shot was 8" right. Had him send another and it was within an inch of the first???? I told him to try again with wrapping his thumb and the next shot hit the 2" white bull. Being able to see the first two helped with fine tuning.

Besides size of plate(s) I think having a good backing that shows a missed impact at your longer ranges is important . The left pic below shows part of video clip at 1100yds at unside down u shaped rocks. The pic on right shows initial impact and then split second later you get a live wind report !

View attachment 174197View attachment 174198

View attachment 174197View attachment 174198
I think the background has something to do with it. If I can spot splash on a miss then I don't care the size of the target, if I cannot spot splash from a miss then I want a big target with a small aim point.

I have a 24x24 for 1000 and beyond. It has a 4" bullseye painted on white background. I also have a 16x16 and 5 -10x12 I set them up in different locations and distances. The smaller targets have a bullseye the size of a paint can, makes it easy to repaint.

Oil and gas industry has some 36" plates and some smaller , I forget the diameter. They are used as a blank for pipes. A friend of ours used these for his range out to 1,200 yds. You definitely hear the hit and short of a .50 at 100 yds., wont ever blow through them. Smaller chambers out past 400 sometimes dont move the plate. The right mounting could solve that.
Try auctions where there are toolpushers and roustabouts.

Attachments

• 20191010_112256.jpg
    20191010_112256.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
I use 10x10 with a 3" dot for most shooting 800 and less, and this 20x20 plate for the longer stuff and load development. I paint dot on both sides of the plate so I have 10 targets if want to swap around instead of repaint. The bigger steel is nice for spotting hits that are not center and making your correction.

Attachments

• steel.jpg
    steel.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 114
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.