Start load H1000 208 A-MAX in .300RUM

ejones338

In the past I have seen some guys mentioning using this combo. This is one of the loads I want to test with my new sendero .300 RUM. The problem is the lack of data on the 208 A-MAX.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm using 89 grains with the 210 bergers. and they shoot great. I would say start around 86-87 and work up as usual.

Just for grins I ran both these through Quickload. Here are the results.

The bullet/powder you want to try:
208AmaxH1000.jpg

Coyboy's load:
210Berger300RUM.jpg

I've been playing with this program for only a couple of days. It's been very interesting. Several of the results have matched very closely with loads I've been shooting. Others have not. Take this all with at least a grain of salt.
icon10.gif

Thank you stormrider. Interesting data. I will have to study it and take a few things into consideration. OAL vs. seating depth etc.. One thing that stood out was in the left hand column of upper left box. The bullet travel, what is that and why so dif.? My guess is distance of travel from ignition to barrel exit, but the #'s are off. I'm not sure though, I have no experience with this kind of software.

Thats interesting, The data for my load is very close to what that barrel was doing new. My load was producing about 3020fps when first developed after about 30 rounds of use the velocity had climbed to 3080 and stabalized there. I went on the asumption that as the barrel broke in the velocities increased. The loads were all loaded on the same lot of powder at the same time. 5c rifling could be part of the faster fps.

getting close to 3100 in a 30 " broughton.
i had a factory sendero barrel and i loaded it with 87.8 grains of rl-25 3 shot group at 100 yrds .497 i used the 208 amax but everyone is telling me to try the 210 burger my gun is at the smith now he is putting a 26 in broughton on it . What kind of group are you getting with yours and how does it handle the heat from the 300rum .

I don't shoot much more than 3-4 bullets without letting it cool, so heat has never been an issue.

I built this rifle on a remington action, "blueprinted", wyatts extended box, skim coated to a HS stock, 1-10T 5c

It's a consistent sub 1/2 minute gun, I have on occasion shot sub 1/4 minute groups with it. You can see pics of the gun and groups in the Gallery page of my site.

Very nice. I was into a project rifle, but when s*** hit the fan with the eco. and hours started to slide at work, I put the brakes on and waited for things to simmer. Now that things have leveled off for me I decided to buy the sendero. If it doesn't do the trick, well, it won't be anything that a little money here and there won't fix (blueprint rebarrel etc.) Time will tell.

The project gun was an edge dressed in a lone wolf stock, ABS barrel, Wyatts extended box mag, on a 700 action. The finer points were not decided yet, but it doesn't matter anymore, I worked it out with my gunsmith, and now it all belongs to someone else.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.