Stanley Park, Vancouver - Coyote Attacks

Muddyboots

Holy cow! 40 attacks (that they know of) since Dec 2020! WTH? So now park is closed in morning and evening to reduce potential contact. Doesn't seem to be any thought to really cull them back to stabilize population to area. Nature will do that with distemper etc soon I bet. Wonder if you could find any ground dwelling animals? Doubt it! They should sell a lottery for 3 day hunt? LINK: Stanley Park Coyotes

We had a slight discussion on this a couple of weeks ago in the ramblings post . It's sad to see this happening and then when you read what the coyote expert said about why she thought the coyote were being the way they were it's even more sad . The coyote may have ingested illegal drugs was mentioned as well as that there was a large number of homeless living in the area and had pushed the coyote out of their home range . My thoughts are a little different on why there are being so many attacks by these coyote . I believe that they have been being fed and have lost their caution of people and are now becoming aggressive toward people looking to be fed as happened a few years back in a small town in Wyoming .

My thoughts are more along the lines this is a limited area of about 1,000 acres and their population has exceeded the capacity of the park and so they are looking for anything to eat. I would bet ground dwelling animals are probably at all time low. Bet you could not find a rabbit anywhere in park. They cannot just live on rodents, they do need larger game as well. Even then, no worries on rodents I bet either. Nature will take its course and distemper/mange/rabies will wipe them out shortly.

Blaming drugs, feeding, and other human related intercourse is putting head in sand (not you but local media) on they are no different than any other animal. When the population exceeds land carrying capability, bad things happen.

A 1,000 acres (1.562 square miles) is a real small area for coyotes that can have territories up to 25 sq miles. Of the 1,000 acres, how much is actually available to the coyote? So you have too many coyotes crammed in a small area that probably will result in territorial issues as well. I wonder just how many coyotes are actually in the park to cause this many attacks?

The article I read on it didn't mention any numbers on how many coyote they thought were in the area . If you have one animal that attacks three or four times and isn't taken care of that's one animal doing it not 3 or 4 but when you have 30 to 40 attacks it almost has to be multiple animals doing it and their animal control measures need to be addressed .