Standard vs Fine Duplex

DougH9

I am considering a fine duplex reticle on a Leupold 4.5x14 for mixed range big game hunting (on a 300 mag.). I have always used the Std. duplex (and wide duplex), but am considering the fine duplex...because it may work better sighting in a long range. Yet at the same time, I would hate to give up anything during hunting conditions.

I am wondering if the fine duplex disapears in low light, or is hard to see in a dark background.

Does anybody have any comments about the fine duplex that they want to share?

Thank you, Doug

I have been using fine and dot type reticles for years... I love them and personally feel I do better with them at all ranges and have no problems in low light either..

JMHO.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have the very scope you are considering. Personally the fine duplex is not for me. Prefer the standard duplex for a precise sight picture in any light.

I also perfer the std duplex over the fine duplex for all around hunting. The standard duplex is also better in low light conditions.

JD338

My Leupold's had mil-dot, varmnit hunter and standard duplex reticals.
I tried a 6.5-20 x 50 with a fine duplex and found it to be just what i was looking for.
My scopes are now all fine duplex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

Thank you very much for the imput (it is split 50/50!). I will mull it over for a little while and make a descision (if I don't like it, I can always send it back for a change).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.