standard primers in 7mm mag cases?

shawnb

just wondering what people think about using standard primers in 7mm wsm/rem mag type cases. advantages disadvantages? personal experience?

I use CCI BR2s and fed 210Ms in a lot of magnum cases, usually do not use magnum primers unless I'm using 85+ grns of H1000 or colder powders, it typically keeps the extreme spreads down.

Shawnb, I have been using standard primers in my 7mag for some time now. There are so many " guidelines" that say use this here, use that there, blah, blah, you get the picture. Sometimes the type of powder indicates use or non use of a mag primer, regardless od volume. A " seven" holds about 70 grains charge plus or minus. That is not a heavy charge. I am using H1000 and am using Winchester WLR primers. They are standard, but they are the HOTTEST standard primer out there. In some cases, the ES is lower when STD primers are used. My particular rifle shoots like a dream with these. They are hot enough, but not too hot. Every rifle has is own personality, and primer choice falls into that category. Hope this helps. AIM SMALL,MISS SMALLlightbulbgun) 7STW

Thanks guys. Ya i was just kinda wondering because you could use a mag primer for a 70 gr charge and then use that same primer for a charge of 110 gr in a bigger case. So it just seems like a std primer should work fine to me.

Thanks guys. Ya i was just kinda wondering because you could use a mag primer for a 70 gr charge and then use that same primer for a charge of 110 gr in a bigger case. So it just seems like a std primer should work fine to me.

I got better ES/SD with my 7mm Rem Mag loads using standard primers. I have settled on the Rem9.5 for my 65 gr RL-22 loads (Norma cases), 160 gr Accubonds. Load some up and see what you get, in my case there was a slight drop in speed for the standard vs. magnum, but the accuracy was better with the standard primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.